f. S. Maria inCampitelli. ROME. II. R.ontheTiber(L.BJ. 223
Giacomo della Porta), though it was erected by the Florentine Taddeo
Landini in 1585.
To the left is the Palazzo Mattei (PL II, 17), originally an ag¬
gregate of separate buildings which occupied the rectangle between
Santa Caterina de' Funari and the Via Paganica. The handsomest
portion (principal entrance, Via de'Funari 31; side-entrance, No. 32),
is one of the finest productions of Carlo Maderna (1616).
In the passages of the entrance, in the arcades, and along the
sides of the Cocbt, a great number of ancient reliefs are built into the
walls. In the court are (r.) Mars with Rhea Silvia, and Apollo with the
Muses, and (1.) the Calydonian Hunt and Rape of Proserpine; in the
portico, Sacrifice of Mithras, Apollo with the Muses, and a Bacchanalian
procession; all from sarcophagi. The statues in the court and niches on
the staircase, some of them freely restored, are of no great value. The
stucco decorations of the ceiling over the staircases are well executed.
Farther on we observe on the left, on the site of the ancient Circus
Flaminius, the church of Santa Caterina de' Funari (PL II, 17),
erected in 1564 by Giac. della Porta, with a good facade and a baroque
tower. The name of the church is derived from the rope-makers
who in the middle ages plied their vocation within the circus.
Straight in front is the Palazzo Ascarelli (PI. II, 17), whence the
Via Delfini leads to the left to the Via Aracceli (p. 194), the street
to the right to the Piazza Campitelli. Here, on the right, is —
Santa Maria in Campitelli (PL II, 17), erected by C. Rainaldi
under Alexander VII. on the site of an earlier church, to provide a
more worthy shelter for the miraculous image of the Virgin, to which
the cessation of the plague in 1656 was ascribed.
Intebiob. The site of this church tapers to a point at the back, but
this irregularity has been most skilfully masked by the architect, who has
so designed a kind of 'preliminary' transept as to produce the impression
that, beyond the handsome projecting columns, there is another and more
spacious transept. — Beneath the canopy over the high-altar is placed
the miraculous Madonna. In the 2nd Chapel on the right, the Gift of
Tongues, by Luca Giordano; in the 1st Chapel on the left, two monuments
of the Altieri family (17th cent.) resting on lions of rosso antico, that on
the right marked 'umbra', that on the left 'nihil'. In the S. transept is
the tomb of Card. Pacca by Petlrich.
From the S.E. end of the Piazza Campitelli the Via di Tor de'
Specchi, skirting the foot of the Capitol, leads to the left to the Piazza
Aracceli (p. 227), while the Via Montanara runs to the right to the
Piazza Montanara (p. 224).
From the S.E. angle of the Piazza Benedetto Cairoli (p. 222) the
Via del Pianto, continued by the Via della Pescheria (PL II, 14,
17), skirts the N. side of the former Ghetto, or Jewish quarter,
which was pulled down in 1887. In antiquity and during the middle
ages the Jews resided in Trastevere; but in 1556 Paul IV. assigned
this quarter to them, and until the end of the papal rule they were
forbidden to settle elsewhere.
The third street on the left leads from the Via del Pianto to the
Piazza Tartaruga (p. 222), and the first street on the right to the
Palazzo Cenci-Bolognetti (PI. II, 14), the home of the ill-fated Bea-