222 II.R.onthe Tiber(L.B.). ROME. f. Font, delle Tartarughe.
The Via de' Pettinari (PL II, 14) leads from the Piazza de'
Pellegrini to the Ponte Sisto (p. 358).
From the Ponte Sisto towards the N.W., parallel with the river,
runs the Lungo Tevere Tibaldi, affording a pretty view of the Villa
Famesina and the Janiculum. Parallel with this street, on the right,
is the Via Giulia (PI. II, 14, 11, 12), most of which was built by
Julius II., leading in 12 min. to the Ponte Sant' Angelo. To the
left is a fountain known as the Mascherone dei Farnesi, and farther
on, also on the left, beyond an arch spanning the street, is the Pal.
Falconieri, built by Boiromini, with hennas on the facade in a bar¬
oque style, terminating in colossal falcons' heads. In the Via di
Sant' Eligio, the next cross-street to the left, is the church of Sant'
Eligio degli Orefici, a graceful little circular structure, built in 1509
from a design by Raphael and renewed in 1601. Farther on in the
Via Giulia, on the left, are the Carceri Nuove, a prison founded by
Innocent X. (closed in 1897), the little church of San Biagio della
Pagnotta, and, No. 66, the Pal. Sacchetti (PI. II, 12), erected in 1543
by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger as his private residence. The
courses of rough rustica masonry in the lower stories of the houses
on the left side of the street, formed the beginning of a large court
of justice, projected by Julius II. and designed by Bramante, but
never carried out. — To the left, at the end of the Via Giulia, is the
church of San Giovanni de' Fiorentini (p. 219).
The most important side-street diverging from the Corso Vittorio
Emanuele is the Via di Tor Argentina (PI. II, 15-18, 14), men¬
tioned at p. 216, which begins at the Pantheon (p. 208) on the N.,
and is continued to the S. by the Via Arenula to the Ponte Gari¬
baldi (PI. II, 13; p. 358).
To the S. of the Corso Vitt. Emanuele, the Via di Tor Argen¬
tina leads to the Piazza Benedetto Cairoli (PL II, 14), passing the
Teatro Argentina (p. 139) and a monument to Pietro Cossa (1834-81),
the dramatist. Thence the Via de' Giubbonari runs to the right to
the Campo di Fiore (p. 220), and the Via del Pianto (p. 223) to the
left to the Porticus of Octavia and the Theatre of Marcellus (p. 224).
On the N. side of the Piazza Benedetto Cairoli rises the church of
San Carlo ai Catinari (PL II, 14), built by Rosati in 1612 in honour
of San Carlo Borromeo, in the form of a Greek cross, with a dome.
In the spaces below the dome are the four cardinal virtues, by Do¬
menichino. Over the high-altar, Card. Borromeo in the procession of
the plague at Milan, by Pietro da Cortona.
The narrow Via de' Falegnami runs from the N.E. angle of the
Piazza Benedetto Cairoli to the small Piazza Tartaruga (PL II, 17),
named after the graceful "Fontana delle Tartarughe (tortoises),
a bold and elegantly composed bronze group with figures of four
youths and dolphins and tortoises. This is the most charming foun¬
tain in Rome; the design was formerly attributed to Raphael (or