f. Palazzo Spada. ROME. II. R. on the Tiber (L.B.). 221
in 1875. The triple colonnade of the entrance and the two arcades
of the court were designed by Sangallo, the arcades being in imi¬
tation of the Theatre of Marcellus; the upper story (originally open)
and the beautiful cornice are by Michael Angelo. The court contains
two ancient sarcophagi (that to the right said to be from the tomb of
Caecilia Metella, p. 379). The Galleria, or hall, on the first floor con¬
tains admirable frescoes of mythological scenes by Agostino and Anni¬
bale Carracci and their pupils, but is not accessible.
In the Via Giulia, behind the Palazzo Farnese, is situated the round
church of Santa Maria della Morte (PI. II, 11; closed), founded by the
fraternity of the Fratelloni della Buona Morte. On Nov. 2nd wax figures
referring to death are exhibited in the chambers below the church.
From the Piazza Farnese a line of streets, called the Via di Mon-
sekkato and Via de' Banchi Vecchi, leads to the N.W. to the Ponte Sant'
Angelo (p. 301). On the right in the first of these is San Tommaso degli
Inglesi (p. 137), the church of the English College, rebuilt in 1888 on the site
of a church said to have been founded by a king of Wessex in the 8th cen¬
tury. It contains various monuments to Englishmen. The adjoining college
contains portraits of English cardinals from Wolsey to Vaughan. — On the
left side of the street, farther on, stands Santa Maria di Monserrato (PI. II,
11), the national Spanish church, with a hospice. It was erected in 14?5
by Ant. da Sangallo the Elder, and afterwards restored. The altar-piece
of the first chapel on the right is by Ann. Carracci, and in the third chapel
on the left is a statue of St. James by Jac. Sansovino. In the Via de'
Banchi Vecchi is the former house of the goldsmith Giampietro Crivelli,
erected about 1510, with florid decorations in stucco.
To the S.E. of the Piazza Farnese the Vieolo de' Venti leads to
the Piazza di Capo di Ferro. Here, on the right, rises the —
Palazzo Spada alia Regola (PL II, 14), erected in the pontificate
of Paul III. about 1540 by Card. Capodiferro, in imitation of a house
built by Raphael for Giambattista Branconi dell' Aquila in the Borgo
Nuovo (p. 304; now destroyed). Since 1640 the palace has belonged
to the Spada family and is now p artly occupied by the Consigli o di Stato.
On the first floor (door to the right in the court; fee) are some interest¬
ing antiquities, including a nude colossal statue of Pompey(1), erroneously
described as that before which Julius Csesar was slain. In the corridor
are eight antique Reliefs, found in 1620 in the course of a restoration of
Sant' Agnese fuori le Mura, and two casts : on the left wall, Paris and Cupid,
Death of Opheltes, Paris and G5none, Rape of the Palladium, Wounded
Adonis; on the window-wall, returning, Dsedalus and Pasiphae, Amphion
and Zethos, casts of the Endymion and the Perseus and Andromeda in the
Capitoline Museum (p. 239), Bellerophon watering Pegasus. — The palace
also contains over 203 pictures, chiefly of the Bolognese school of the 16-
17th cent., and a Greek portrait-statue (Aristotle or more probably Ari-
stippus?), but these are not shown without a special introduction. In the
court, on the S.E. side, is a portico with delusive perspective ascribed to
Borromini (apply to the porter; fee).
Pursuing the same direction beyond the Piazza Capo di Ferro,
we next reach the small Piazza de' Pellegrini. On the left is the
back of the Monte di Pieta (PL II, 14), formerly the Pal. Santacroce,
the seat since 1604 of the pawn-office, founded in 1539, to which it
owes its present name. On the right is the church of Santa Trinita de'
Pellegrini, erected in 1614; the high-altar is adorned with a Trinity,
by Guido Reni. Adjoining is a hospital for convalescents and pilgrims.