e. S. Giov. de'Fiorentini. ROME. II. R.onthe Tiber(L.B.). 219
Chiesa Nuova (PI. II, 12), ot Santa Maria in Vallicella, erected by
San Filippo Neri about 1550 for the order of Oratorians founded by
him, and finished in 1605. Architecture by Giov. Matteo da Citta di
Castello, interior by Mart. Lunghi the Elder, facade by Rughesi.
The Interior, which is dark and unfavourable for pictures, is richly
decorated. The admirable stucco-work is by Cos. Faniello and Ercole
Ferrata. The ceiling of the Nave, the dome, and the tribune are painted
by Pietro da Cortona. — In the Left Aisle, adjoining the tribune, is the
small and sumptuous Chapel of San Filippo Nebi, beneath the altar of which
his remains repose. Above is the portrait of the saint in mosaic, after the
original of Guido Reni preserved in the adjoining monastery. — Over the
High Altab, with its four columns of porta santa, is a Madonna by Rubens;
on the right "SS. Gregory, Maurus, and Papias, on the left ,:SS. Domitilla,
Nereus, and Achilleus, also by Rubens, who painted these pictures during
his second stay in Rome in 1608 for this church, which was then the most
fashionable in the city.
On 26th May, the festival of the saint, and after Ave Maria every Sunday
from 1st Nov. to Palm Sunday, concerts of sacred music, to which men only
are admitted, are given in the adjoining Oratorium, which derives its name
from the oratories fitted up by San Filippo Neri. The saint was fond of
music and advocated a cheerful form of divine service.
The adjoining Philippine Monastery, erected by Borromini, is
of irregular shape, but remarkably massive in its construction. It
contains a room once occupied by the saint, with various relics. The
Corte d'Appello, the Tribunate Civile e Correzionale, and the Tri¬
bunate di Commercio are now established here. — The valuable
Bibliotheca Vallicellana (adm., see p. 138) is also preserved here.
Farther on, to the left, lies the small Piazza Sforza, with the
Palazzo Sforza-Cesarini, the Bohemian Hospice, restored in 1875.
and a monument (by Benini; 1892) to the poet and statesman Count
Terenzio Mamiani (1799-1885). Beyond the piazza the Via del
Banco di Santo Spirito diverges to the right to the Ponte Sant' An¬
gelo (p. 301). Nos. 44-46 in this street once belonged to the banker
Agostino Chigi (p. 354), the 'gran mercante della cristianita,', whose
office (in the wing, Arco dei Banchi 9) is now a stable.
To the left several lanes, now being rebuilt, lead to San Giovanni
de' Fiorentini (PL II, 12), the handsome national church of the
Florentines. The building was begun, by desire of Leo X., from a
design by Jac. Sansovino (which was preferred to competing plans
of Raphael, Ant. da Sangallo the Younger, and Peruzzi); and the
difficult task of completing the substructures on the river was exe¬
cuted by Sangallo. Michael Angelo, and on his death, Giac. della
Porta were afterwards engaged in the work, and the facade was
added by Aless. Galilei in 1734. In the right transept is a picture by
Salv. Rosa (SS. Cosmas and Damianus at the stake). — Near the
church the Ponte ai Fiorentini, a suspension bridge constructed in
1863, crosses the river (toll 5 c.; p. 354).
To the S.E. from San Giovanni runs the Via Giulia, see p. 222.