218 II. R. on theTiber(L.B.). ROME. e. Pal. della Cancelleria.
The Via del Goveeno Vecciiio (PI. II, 15, 12), running from the small
piazza named after Pasquino, formed the chief communication with the
Ponte Sant'Angelo, before the construction of the Corso Vittorio Emanuele.
On the right in this street is the Pal. del Governo Vecchio, which for a
time was occupied by the law and police courts. No. 124, opposite, is
an elegant little house in Bramante's style, built in 1500 for the papal
secretary J. P. Turcius. We next pass the back of the Philippine Convent
(now a court-house, p. 219) and cross the Piazza dell' Orologio (PI. II, 12)
whence the Via Monte Giordano leads to the right to the Palazzo Gabrielli,
with a pretty fountain in its court. Thence the Via di Panico leads to the
Ponte Sant' Angelo.
Farther on the Corso Vittorio Emanuele discloses a view of the
dome of St. Peter's.
To the left lies the narrow Piazza della Cancelleria with the
palace of that name and the church of San Lorenzo in Damaso.
The "Palazzo della Cancelleria (PI. II, 15, 14), an edifice of
majestic simplicity, designed in strict conformity with the ancient
orders of architecture, is one of the noblest Renaissance monuments
in Rome (p. Ixvii). It was built about 1486-95 for Card. Raffaelo
Riario by a Tuscan architect, but not by Bramante, who did not come
to Rome until 1499. The elegant facade is constructed of blocks of
travertine from the Colosseum. The beautiful balcony at the S.E.
corner should be noticed. The chief portal of the palace, in an in¬
harmonious baroque style, was added by Domenico Fontana. It leads
into the "Court, surrounded by arcades on the two lowest stories.
The columns are antique and were formerly used in the ancient
basilica of San Lorenzo (see below). The graceful capitals are de¬
corated with roses, a flower which appears in the armorial bearings
of Card. Riario. Under the arcade to the left is a bust of Padre
Secchi, the astronomer (p. 198). To the right is a door leading to the
church of San Lorenzo (see below). This is the only palace in the
interior of the city which government still permits to be in the hands
of the pope.
The handsome portal by Vignola, to the right near the Corso,
admits to the church of San Lorenzo in Damaso. The ancient basilica
of this name was originally founded by Damasus I. (ca. 370) near
the Theatre of Pompey (p. 220), but it was taken down at the in¬
stance of Card. Riario and rebuilt in connection with the palace.
The internal decoration is quite modern, dating from the time of
Pius VII. (1820) and Pius IX. (1873). At the E. end of the right
aisle is the tomb of the papal minister Count Rossi, who was assas¬
sinated on the staircase of the Cancelleria in 1848 (bust by Tenerani)
From the Cancelleria to the Campo di Fiore, see p. 220.
We continue to follow the Corso Vitt. Emanuele. At the corner
of the second street to the right is the Palazzo Sora, built in 1503
for Card. Fieschi by an architect (perhaps Giuliano Leno?), who has
used (with some unhappy modifications) Bramante's design for the
exterior facade of St. Peter's. It has been altered for the Liceo-
Ginnasio Terenzio Mamiani. — To the right stands the —