e. Pal. Braschi. ROME. If. R. on the Tiber (L. B.). 217
Palazzo Massimi alle Colonne (PI. II, 14, 15), a fine structure
by Bald. Peruzzi, who, however, died in 1536 before its completion.
The arc-shaped facade was skilfully adapted to the curve of the orig¬
inally narrow street, but has lost its effect by the construction of
the wide Corso. The glimpse obtained of the double court is, how¬
ever, still strikingly picturesque. On the second floor is the Chapel
of San Filippo Neri (p. 219; open to visitors on 16th March), who
is said to have here resuscitated a child of the Massimi family.
In 1467, within the buildings connected with this palace, the Germans
Pannartz and Schweinheim, who during the two previous years had found an
asylam in the monastery of Subiaco (p. 410), established the first printing-
office in Rome, from which they issued Cicero's Epistles and other works,
furnished with the name of the printers and the words '/ft aedibus Petri
de Maximis'. — The Massimi family claims descent from the ancient Fabii
Maximi, and their armorial bearings have the motto 'Cunctando restituif.
On the left, at the point where the Via de' Baullari diverges to
the Palazzo Farnese (p. 220), is the little Palazzo Linotte (Pal.
Regis; PL II, 14), built about 1515 for the French prelate Thomas
le Roy, of Rennes, whose armorial lilies, repeated several times in
the frieze, have procured the erroneous title of Palazzetto Farnese
for the palace. It is an early work of Ant. da Sangallo the Younger,
and has a tasteful court and staircase. The much-wanted restor¬
ation of this palazzo was begun in 1898, under Enrico Guy.
To the right opens the Piazza di San Pantaleo (PI. II, 15), con¬
taining the small church of San Pantaleo, with a facade erected by
Guiseppe Valadier in 1806. In the centre is a statue, by Gangeri,
of the Italian statesman Marco Minghetti (1818-86).
From the Piazza San Pantaleo the Via San Pantaleo runs towards
the N.W. No. 9 in this street, on the right, is the spacious Palazzo
Braschi (PL II, 15), erected by Morelli at the end of the 18th cent.
and now occupied by the Minister of the Interior. It contains a fine
marble staircase and a few ancient statues. The N. side of the build¬
ing looks towards the Piazza Navona (p. 213). — At the obtuse N.W.
angle of the palace stands the so-called Pasquino, an admirable,
but now sadly mutilated relic of an antique group of statuary re¬
presenting Menelaus with the body of Patroclus, looking around for
succour in the tumult of battle. Duplicates of the group are in the
Loggia de' Lanzi and the Palazzo Pitti at Florence, and there are
fragments in the Vatican (p. 340).
Cardinal Caraffa caused the group to be erected here in 1501. It be¬
came the custom of the professors and students of the Roman Archigin-
nasio on St. Mark's day (April 25th) to affix Latin and Italian epigrams to
the statue (at first without any satirical aim). The name was derived from
a schoolmaster living opposite; but when the 'pasquinades' began to
assume a bitter satirical character about the middle of the 16th cent.
(chiefly as the result of the Reformation), the title came to be connected
with a tailor named Pasquino who was notorious for his lampooning pro¬
pensities. The answers to the satires of Pasquino used to be attached to
the Marforio (pp. 194, 236). Compositions of this kind have been much in
vogue at Rome ever since that period, sometimes vying with the best
satires of antiquity.