216 II. R. on the Tiber (1.. n.). kcuvlk. e. is. Anarea della Valle.
the evening. During Advent and Lent (Frid. excepted), and at various
other seasons also, sermons are preached here about 11 a.m., often by
priests of great ability.
Adjoining the church on theS. is the former Casa Professa of the
Jesuits, now used for military purposes, adjacent to which, No. lA
in the Via di Aracceli (p. 194) leading to the Capitol, is the entrance
to the rooms of St. Ignatius (Mon., Wed., Frid., 9-11). Opposite is
the Palazzo Bolognetti, which bounds the Piazza del Gesii on the S.
The dome in front of us in the Corso Vittorio Emanuele be¬
longs to the church of Sant' Andrea della Valle (see below). A few
hundred paces to the W. of the Piazza Gesu the Corso is crossed by
the Via di Tor Argentina (p. 222).
Farther on, to the left, is the rear of the Palazzo Vidoni (PL II,
14), formerly belonging to the Caffarelli, as whose guest Charles V.
resided here in 1536. The palace is now the property of the princes
Giustiniani-Bandini. The chief facades are in the smallPiazza della
Valle and the Via del Sudario, which leads to*the S. The building
(partly restored) was designed by Raphael and erected by Lorenzetto.
On the staircase is the so-called Abbate Luigi, a Roman figure in a
toga, formerly placed at the N. angle of the palace, and used as the
bearer of lampoons and pasquinades (comp. p. 194).
Opposite the Palazzo Vidoni is the Cappella del Sudario. The street
Monte di Farina leads hence to San Carlo ai Callnari (p. 222).
The domed church of "Sant'Andrea della Valle (PL II, 14), be¬
gun by P. Olivieri in 1591 on the site of several earlier churches, and
completed by C. Maderna, has a florid facade added in 1665 from
designs by Carlo Rainaldi. The interior is well proportioned, but
part of it has been whitewashed. See p. lxxiv.
On the right the 2nd Chapel (Steozzi) contains copies in bronze of the
Pieta (p. 311) and the Rachel and Leah (p. 180) of Michael Angelo, whose
influence is apparent in the design of this chapel itself. — On the left
the 1st Chapel (Babbeeini) is adorned with several marble statues of the
school of Bernini. — Above the last arches in the Nave are the monuments
of the two popes of the Piccolomini family, brought here from the old
church of St. Peter; on the left that of Pius II. (d. 1461; p. 40), by Nic.
della Guardia and Pietro Paolo da Todi; on the right that of Pius III.
(d. 1503), executed somewhat later as a companion-piece.—In the Dome:
Glory of Paradise, by Lanfranco; below, on the pendentives, the -Evan¬
gelists by Domenichino, one of his finest works. By the same master, "Fres¬
coes on the vaulting of the apse. In front, between the transverse ribs, a
rectangular painting of John the Baptist pointing out Christ to St. John
and St. Andrew (John, I. 35); in the vaulting itself, on the left, the Scourg¬
ing of St. Andrew; in the centre, the A'ocation of SS. Peter and Andrew by
Christ; on the right, St. Andrew beholds and reveres the cross to which
he is about to be affixed; below are six female figures representing the
virtues (p. Ixxv). The large lower frescoes by Calabrese (martyrdom of St.
Andrew) are of no great value.
The Via del Teatro Valle, on the other side of the Corso, opposite
the church, leads to the N. to the small Piazza della Valle and the
Palazzo Capranica (PL II, 15), and thence to the right to the Uni¬
versity and the Pal. Madama (p. 211).
No. 141 in the Corso Vitt. Emanuele, to the right, is the —