214 II. R. on the Tiber (L.B.). ROME. d. S. Maria della Pace.
and Innocent VIII., restored by Alexander VII., and provided by
Pietro da Cortona with the fine facade and semicircular portico. The
church consists of a domed octagon, with a short nave. When closed,
apply to the sacristan at No. 5, Vieolo dell' Arco della Pace (comp.
Over the 1st Chapel on the right are **Raphael's Sibyls receiv¬
ing from angels and recording revelations regarding the Saviour: to
the left the Sibyl of Cumae; against the arch above, the Persian;
then, on the other side of the arch, the Phrygian, and the aged
Sibyl of Tibur. They were painted in 1514 by order of Agostino
Chigi (p. 354), who erected the chapel, and were skilfully freed
from 'restorations' by Palmaroli in 1816 (usually covered, sacristan
25-30 c.; best light, 10-11 a.m. ; see also p. lxxiii).
'With perfect mastery of the art of utilising the space at his com¬
mand, a talent admirably illustrated in the Stanze, Raphael has here adapted
his composition to the curve of the arch so simply and naturally that the
consummate skill of the grouping is apt to be overlooked. Equally charac¬
teristic of Raphael are the rhythm of the composition, the display of
spirited contrasts, and the delicate gradations and judicious denoue¬
ment of passionate emotions; while the gracefulness of the female forms
and the sprightly beauty of the angel-boys are specially Raphaelesque.
Michael Angelo's Sibyls are justly extolled as creations of a sublime
imagination, striking the spectator with their supernatural majesty; but
these female figures of Raphael are pre-eminently human and lovable'.
In the lunette above the Sibyls are Prophets by Timoteo Viti
(p. 109): right, Jonah and Hosea; left, Daniel and David.
At the sides of the 1st Chapel on the left are two fine monu¬
ments of the Ponzetti family, of 1505 and 1509. Admirable "Altar-
piece in fresco by Bald. Peruzzi, who here rivals Raphael and
Michael Angelo: Madonna between St. Brigitta and St. Catharine,
in front the donor Card. Ponzetti kneeling (1516). The vaulting
above contains scenes from the Old and New Testament, in three
rows, also by Peruzzi. ■— The 2nd Chapel on the right (Cap. Cesi),
with its heavy decorations (about 1560), offers an instructive contrast.
■— To the left, under the dome, is the entrance to the sacristy and
court (see above). Over the first altar on the left, Adoration of the
Shepherds, by Sermoneta; over the niche, the Death of Mary, by
Morandi. The second altar, with handsome marble-work, partly
gilded, attributed to Pasquale daCaravaggio, is of 1490. The high-
altar is adorned with an ancient and highly revered Madonna; on
the vaulting are pleasing 'putti'by Franc. Albani. Over the adjacent
altar to the right, Baptism of Christ, by Sermoneta. Over the niche,
Mary's first visit to the Temple, by Bald. Peruzzi (retouched). —
Newly-married couples usually attend their first mass in this church.
The "Cloister, constructed by Bramante (p. lxvii) by order of
Card. Caraffa in 1504, is interesting. On the groundfloor are arcades,
above which, between the pillars and thus over the arches, is a series
of columns. By the right wall, the tomb of Bishop Bocciacio(d. 1497)
of Modena. Entrance through the church, or by the Vieolo dell' Arco
della Pace 5.