d. S. Maria dell' Anima. ROME. II. R. on the Tiber (L. 7J>. 21 ?.
campanili, are by C. Rainaldi, and the tasteless facade by Borromini.
The Romans used to maintain that the Nile on the great fountain
veiled his head in order to avoid seeing this facade.
Over the principal door is the monument of Innocent X. by Maini;
to the left, in the chapel of the transept, is a statue of St. Sebastian, adapted
by Maini from an antique statue. Beneath the dome are 8 columns of 'cot-
tanello'. The old church was in the side-vaults of the Circus where St.
Agnes suffered martyrdom. Two subterranean chapels with ancient vaulting
still remain, one of them containing a good relief of the Martyrdom of
St. Agnes by Algardi (descent by flight of steps).
To the left of the chuTch is the Palazzo Pampliili, also erected
by Rainaldi, now the property of Prince Doria. —Opposite to it is the
church of San Giacomo degli Spagnuoli, erected in 1450, and recently
restored. In the tympanum above the portal are two angels by Mino
da Fiesole (on the right) and Paolo Romano (on the left). — At the
S. end of the piazza is the Pal. Braschi (p. 217).
The Via Sant' Agnese, to the right of the church, leads to the
Via dell' Anima on the right, where on the left side is situated —
Santa Maria dell' Anima (PL II, 15; open till 8.30 a.m., on
holidays till noon; when closed, visitors go round the church and ring
at the door of the Hospice, opposite Santa Maria della Pace), erected
in 1500-1514. Handsome facade by Giuliano da Sangallo (?). The
name is explained by the small marble group in the tympanum of the
portal: a Madonna invoked by two souls in purgatory. This is the
church of Roman Catholics of German nationality, amongst whom the
Netherlanders were formerly included.
The Interior, designed by a northern architect, has lately been thoroughly
restored. The modern frescoes of busts of saints on the ceiling are by
L. Seitz (1875-82), by whom also the stained-glass window over the chief
portal was designed. On the entrance-wall, tomb of Cardinal Wilh. Encke-
vort (d. 1534). — Rigut Aisle. 1st Chapel: St. Benno receiving from a fisher¬
man the keys of the cathedral at Meissen (Saxony), which had been recovered
from the stomach of a fish, altar-piece by Carlo Saraceni (pupil of Caravaggio).
2nd Chapel: Holy Family, altar-piece by Gimignani; left, monument and
bust of Card. Slusius. On the 3rd pillar, Tomb of Hadrian Vryberg of
Alkmaar, with pleasing figures of children by the Dutch sculptor Frans
Duquesnoy (d. 1644 at Rome). 4th Chapel: altered copy of Michael Angelo's
Pieta in St. Peter's, by Nanni di Baccio Bigio. — Left Aisle. 1st Chapel:
Martyrdom of St. Lambert, by C. Saraceni. 3rd Chapel: frescoes from the life
of St. Barbara, by Mich. Coxcie. 4th Chapel: altar-piece (Entombment) and
frescoes by Salviati.
Choir. Over the high-altar, Holy Family with saints, by Giulio Romano,
damaged by inundations; on the right, the fine monument of Hadrian VI. of
Utrecht (preceptor of Charles V., d. 1523), with figures of justice, prudence,
strength, and temperance, designed by Baldassare Peruzzi, executed by Michel-
angiolo Sanese and Niccolb Tribolo; opposite to it, that of a Duke of Cleve-
Jiilich-Berg (d. 1575) by Egidius of Riviere and Nicolaus of Arras. A relief in
the ante-chamber of the sacristy (at the end of the N. aisle) represents the
investiture of this prince by Gregory XIII. In the church, at the entrance
to the sacristy, is the tomb of the learned Lucas Holste of Hamburg,
librarian of the Vatican (d. 1661). — Excellent new organ from Germany.
This church is noted for its music.
Opposite the German Hospice connected with the church rises —
"Santa Maria della Pace (PI. II, 15), erected by Sixtus IV. (1484)