212 II. R. on the Tiber (L.B.). ROME. d. Tiazza Navona
subsequently it belonged to the Medicis, afterwards grand-dukes of
Tuscany, by whose orders Giov. Stef. Marucelli of Florence altered
it to its present form in 1642. Benedict XIV. purchased the palace
in 1740; and since 1871 it has been the meeting-place of the
Italian Senate (Palazzo del Senato). It has two facades, the E. one
in the Piazza San Luigi, the W. and more important in the Piazza
Madama. The vestibule, court, and staircase contain antique statues,
sarcophagi, reliefs, and busts. The royal reception-room was adorned
by Maccari in 1888 with noteworthy frescoes representing Appius
Claudius Caecus, Regulus, and Cicero and Catiline.
Opposite the N. side of the Pal. Madama rises —
San Luigi de' Francesi (PI. II, 15), the national church of the
French, consecrated in 1589. Facade by Giac. della Porta. The
chapels are very badly lighted. Best light about midday.
Right Aisle. On the pillar opposite the 1st chapel is a monument
to French soldiers who fell at the siege of Rome in 1849. 2nd Chapel:
"Frescoes from the life of St. Cecilia, one of the most admirable works of
Domenichino (p. Ixxv); on the right the saint distributes clothing to the poor;
above, she and her betrothed are crowned by an angel; on the left the
saint suffers martyrdom with the blessing of the Pope; above, she is urged
to participate in a heathen sacrifice; on the ceiling, admission of the saint
into heaven; altar-piece, a copy of Raphael's St. Cecilia (in Bologna) by Guido
Reni. — Over the high-altar: Assumption, a fine work by Franc. Bassano.
— Left Aisle. By the first pillar on the right the monument of Claude
Lorrain, erected in 1836.
From the Piazza San Luigi to the N. to the Via della Scrofa and
Sant' Agostino, see p. 206. — To the W., a street between the church
and the Pal. Madama leads via the above-mentioned little Piazza
Madama to the —
"Piazza Navona (PI. II, 15), now officially named Circo Ago-
nale, which occupies, as its form still indicates, the Circus or Sta¬
dium of Domitian. The name 'Navona', which was used in the middle
ages and down to 1875, is said to be derived from the agones, or con¬
tests which took place in the circus.
It is embellished with three Fountains. That at the N. end.
by Leon, della Bitta and Greg. Zappala (1878), represents Neptune
in conflict with a sea-monster; round the central group are Nereids
and sea-horses. — Not far from it, in the centre of a large basin of
Pentelic marble, rises a fountain erected by Bernini under Innocent
X.; at the corners of the rock, the different parts of which represent
the four quarters of the globe, are placed the gods of the rivers
Danube, Ganges, Nile, and Rio della Plata, executed by pupils of Ber¬
nini. The whole is surmounted by an obelisk, which was originally
erected in honour of Domitian in the Circus of Maxentius (p. 379).
— The third fountain, at the S. end of the piazza, is adorned with
masks and Tritons, including one known as 'II Moro', by Bernini.
On the W. side of the Piazza Navona stands the church of
Sant' Agnese; the fine interior, in the form of a Greek cross, and the