d. Univ. della Sapienza. ROME. II. R. on the Tiber (L. B.). '111
di Baccio Bigio. On the pavement the tombstone of the celebrated scholar
Pietro Bembo (d. 1547). — The high-altar contains the relics of St. Cathar¬
ine of Siena (p. 32).
In front of the high-altar, to the left, is ""Michael Angelo's Christ with
the Cross, which was ordered by Metello Vari and P. Castellari in 1514,
and erected in 1521. Pietro Urbano, an assistant of the great master, was
entrusted with the final touching up of the work after its erection, but
as he acquitted himself badly, the finishing strokes were given to it by
Roderigo Frizzi. The nudity of the figure is justified by the master's in¬
tention to pourtray the Risen Christ, but it is now marred by a bronze
drapery; the right foot also is protected against the kisses of the devout
by a bronze shoe (comp. p. lxviii).
From the chapel on the left of the choir is a passage to the Via Sant'
Ignazio; on the wall, to the left, the tombstone of Fra Giovanni Angelico da
Fiesole, who died in the neighbouring monastery in 1455, with his portrait
and the inscription: Hie jacet Venerabilis piclor Frater Joannes de Florentia
Ordinis praedicatorum It LV. — In the Left Tbansept is the Chapel of
San Domenico, with 8 black columns, and the monument of Benedict XIII.
(d. 1730) by P. Bracci. Adjacent, to the right, is the entrance to the sacristy,
behind which is shown the Chamber in which St. Catharine of Siena died
(see above), removed hither in 1737. The frescoes are very badly lighted.
The adjoining Monastery, formerly the residence of the chief of
the Dominican order and the seat of the Inquisition, was the scene
of Galileo's trial in 1633. It now contains the offices of the Mi¬
nister of Education (Ministero dell' Istruzione Pubblica) and the
Biblioteca Casanatense (p. 138).
A little to the E. are the church of Sant' Ignazio (p. 194) and the
Collegio Romano; to the S. are the Gesii (p. 215) and the beginning
of the Corso Vittorio Emanuele (p. 215).
We return to the Pantheon and, following the Via della Palom-
bella (p. 209), which skirts it on the S., reach the Piazza Sant'
Eustachio (PL II, 15). At the W. end of this piazza lies the —
Universita della Sapienza (PI. II, 15; entrance, Via della Sa¬
pienza 71), founded in 1303 by Boniface VIII., and after a rapid
decline re-established by Eugene IV. It attained its greatest pros¬
perity under and owing to Leo X. It possesses four faculties (law,
medicine, physical science, and philology) and is connected with
institutes for the study of economics, pharmacy, and archaeology. It
contains several natural history collections and the Biblioteca Ales-
sandrina (p. 138). The present building was designed by Giac. della
Porta. The church (Sant' Ivo), with its grotesque spiral tower, was
designed by Borromini in the form of a bee, in honour of Urban VIII.
(Barberini), in whose armorial bearings that insect figures. The
colonnaded court, in two stories, is among the most imposing in
Rome. — Side-streets lead hence to the S. to the Corso Vittorio
Emanuele (p. 216), while the Via degli Staderari leads to the N.W.
to the main facade of the Palazzo Madama.
The Palazzo Madama (PI. II, 15), originally built at the close
of the 15th cent., derives its name from Margaret of Parma, natural
daughter of Charles V. and afterwards Regent of the Netherlands,
who occupied it during the pontificate of Paul III. Previously and