170 /. TV. and E. Hills. ROME. c. Palazzo Rospigliosi.
a palace built by Fuga for the tribunal charged with the internal ad¬
ministration of the Papal States; it is now the Ministry of the Exterior.
— Opposite, Via del Quirinale 15, is the garden of the Pal. Colonna
Immediately to the left in the continuation of the Via del Quiri¬
nale is the *Palazzo Rospigliosi (PI. II, 21), erected in 1603 by
Card. Scipio Borghese, nephew of Paul V., on the ruins of the
Thermae of Constantine. It afterwards became the property of the
princes Rospigliosi, and now belongs partly to the princes Pallavicini.
It is the seat of the French embassy to the Vatican. The palace (adm.
on special introduction only) contains a beautiful Claude Lorrain
(Temple of Venus), etc., but the chief treasures of art are preserved
in an adjoining building, the Casino Rospigliosi (adm., see pp. 140,
141; 25-50 c.; catalogue 50 c).
We enter the court by a gate, pass through the door marked 'Galleria'
immediately to the left, and ascend the steps.
Along the external wall of the Casino are placed ancient sarcophagus
reliefs (Bleleager and the boar, Emperor hunting, Rape of Proserpine,
etc.). — By the door to the right we enter the —
Principal Hall. ** Ceiling-painting by Guido Reni: Aurora strewing
flowers before the chariot of the god of the sun, who is surrounded by
dancing Horse, the master's finest work. The colouring deserves special
notice. The strongest light is thrown upon the figure of Apollo, whose
hair and flesh are of golden hue. Of a corresponding tint are the yellowish-
red robes of the nymph nearest to Apollo. The colours are then gradually
shaded off from blue to white, and from green to white, while the dun-
coloured horses accord with the clouds (p. Ixxiii). On the table opposite
the entrance is a mirror, in which the painting may be conveniently in¬
spected. — On the frieze, landscapes by Paul Bril, and at the ends of the
room, Triumph of Fama and Cupid (from Petrarch), by Tempesta. Left
wall: 11. Simone da Pesaro, Holy Family; 7. School of Leonardo da Vinci,
St. John. Back-wall: 21. Sassoferrato, Bladonna; 22. Titian (?), Vanity. —
Right wall: 28. Van Dyck, Portrait; Statue of Athena Tritogeneia.
Room on the Right. Opposite the entrance, 36. Domenichino, Fall of
man. Left wall: "32. Lorenzo Lotto, Triumph of Chastity. Right wall: 56.
Dutch School, Portrait; 33. Domenichino, Venus and Cupid; 48. Luca Signorelli,
Holy Family. Entrance-wall: 35. L. Carracci (?), Samson. — Room to the
Left. Entrance-wall, over the door, 57. Passignano, Pieta; 64. Guido Reni,
Andromeda; 66. N. Poussin, Putto; 67. Portrait of N. Poussin, a copy of the
original in the Louvre; 'So. Three small antique Wall Paintings of putti
(two not numbered); no number, Victoria, fragment of an antique Stucco
Ornament. On this wall (70, 80, 68, 61, 69, 63) and the two following (75 on
the left wall; opposite, 84, 79, 78, 83, 82, 62): Christ and the Apostles,
thirteen pictures by Rubens (1617), studio-replicas of the paintings executed
by him in 1604 for Sladrid. Left wall: 74. Daniele da Volterra, Bearing of
the Cross. Wall opposite the entrance: 81. Domenichino, Triumph of David;
91. Trevisani, Pieta. Right wall: 58. Palma Giovane, Adam and Eve.
Farther on in the Via del Quirinale, to the right, is the church
of San Silvestro al Quirinale (PL II, 21), erected at the beginn¬
ing of the 16th century.
In the Dome four oval frescoes by Domenichino: David dancing before
the Ark, Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, Judith, Esther and Ahasuerus.
In the 2nd Chapel to the left, two landscapes by Polidoro da Caravaggio
and his assistant Maturino: Betrothal of St. Catharine, and Christ appearing
to Mary 3Iagdalen.
The Via del Onivinale ends at the Via Nazionale (p. 167).