168 /. TV. and E. Hills. ROME. c. Via Nazionale.
a well-preserved small gateway, has been built into the Pal. Anto-
nelli, on the right (No. 158; staircase on the right of the court). —
To the S., behind the 17th cent, church of Santa Caterina di Siena,
rises the Torre delle Milizie, erected about 1200 by the sons of
Petrus Alexius, also called Torre di Nerone, because Nero is popu¬
larly believed to have witnessed the conflagration of Rome from
the top (comp. p. 204). — In the S.E. angle of the little piazza, at
the beginning of the Via Panisperna, is the church of Santi Domenico
e Sisto, with its lofty flight of steps, built by Vincenzo della Greca
The Via Panisperna leads to Santa Blaria 31aggiore (comp. p. 172). In
this street, to the left, is Sant' Agata in Suhura (PI. II, 23) or dei Goti,
the ancient church of the Arian Goths, restored in 1633, and now possessing
12 granite columns only of the original edifice. It belongs to a seminary
for Irish priests, and contains the Monument of Daniel O'Connell (d. 1847;
who bequeathed his heart to this church), with a relief by Benzoni,
erected in 1856. The tomb of John Lascaris, author of the first modern
Greek grammar (d. 1535), is also in this church. — Farther on is the
church of San Lorenzo in Panisperna (p. 171).
The Via Nazionale now descends the slopes of the Quirinal
(95 ft.) in a wide curve. The flight of steps on the left descends
to Trajan's Forum (p. 263). Farther on, to the left, is a mediaeval
tower of the Colonna, with immured fragments from the Forum of
Trajan. At the next corner, to the left, stands a Waldensian Church,
and to the right the Teatro Drammatico Nazionale. The cross-street
diverging at this point to the right (N.) is the Via Pilotta (pp. 153,
202), which skirts the rear of the Palazzo Colonna (p. 202), crosses
the small Piazza Pilotta, with the picturesque and unsymmetrical Pal.
Muti-Papazzurri, by Mattia de' Rossi (1644), and leads to the Fontana
Trevi (p. 153).
The Via Nazionale passes the S. facade of the Pal. Colonna and
then skirts the S. end of the long Piazza di Santi Apostoli (p. 202)
to the Piazza di Venezia (p. 193).
From the Quattro Fontane (p. 157) the Via del Quirinale
(PI. II, 24, 21) leads to the S.W. to the Piazza del Quirinale. To
the right in the Via del Quirinale are buildings connected with the
royal palace; to the left the church of Sant' Andrea al Quirinale,
elliptical in ground-plan, built by Bernini in 1678 and richly de¬
corated. Farther on is a small public garden, where a monument to
Carlo Alberto is being erected.
At the end of the street, to the right, lies the royal palace, the
chief facade of which is in the Piazza del Quirinale (PL II, 21).
In the centre of the piazza are a Fountain with an antique granite
basin, erected in 1818 and fed by the Acqua Felice; an Obelisk,
48 ft. high, removed hither from the mausoleum of Augustus (p. 189)
in 1787; and the two colossal marble **Horse Tamers. These ad¬
mirable groups are works of the imperial age, copied from originals
of the school of Lvsiomis (v. 11 Thev once stood in front of