278 Route 51.
line turns to the N. Next stat. Pescia (Postaj, a smaii town,
situated about ll/2 M. to the N. on the river of that name,
which the railway now crosses, in a delightful district, where the
silk-culture and several paper-manufactories flourish. The Cathe¬
dral of Pescia possesses remains of an ancient facade, and a fine
monument of Baldassare Turrini by Raffaele da Monteiupo, a
pupil of Michael Angelo.
Hence to Pistoja the district continues to be most attractive.
Stat. Borgo a Bugiano, then Monte Catini. Here, on Aug. 29th,
1315, Lgguccione della Faggiuola, the Ghibelline prince of Pisa
and Lucca, defeated the Florentines. The warm baths (Bagni
di Monti Catini) in the vicinity, furnished by the former Grand
Duke Leopold I. with bath-establishment and other conveniences,
attract a considerable number of visitors.
The line intersects the rich valley of the Nievole. Stat.
Pieve a Nievole; r. Monsummano on a conical eminence, with
warm springs. By the next stat. Serravalle, an important frontier-
fortress during the wars between Lucca and Pistoja, the line
crosses the watershed between the Nievole and Ombrone, both
affluents of the Arno. On an eminence near the Ombrone, in a
fertile district, is situated the ancient town of
Pistoja ("Albergo di Londra, outside the town, on the way to the
stat.; Globo, Posta, both in the Piazza Cino; Caffe del Globo.
Fiacres: One-horse per drive 60 c., two-horse 80 c, 1st hour 1 fr. 40, two-
horse 1 fr. 70 c., each following hour 1 fr., two-horse 1 fr. 30 c), Rom.
Pistoria, near which, B. C. 62, Catiline was defeated and slain,
in the middle ages the focus of the fiercest struggles between
the Guelphs and Ghibellines. In the year 1300 the Cancellieri
and Panciatichi, or Black and White parties, mentioned by
Dante (Inferno 24, 143), who afterwards extended their opera¬
tions to Florence and influenced the fortunes of the poet him¬
self, were formed here. Pistoja was the birthplace of the celebrated
jurist and poet Cino (1270—1336), a contemporary of Dante, but
unknown to him, and of the satirist Niccolb Forteguerri (1674—
1735), author of the Ricciardetto. In the history of art the town
also holds a prominent position owing to its valuable sculpture
of the 12th—14th cent. The modern Pistoja possesses broad,
well-built streets, 12,000 inhab., iron works of some extent, and
gun-manufactories. Pistols are said to have been invented here
and to derive their name from Pistoja.
If the traveller follow the Via Cino, which comes from the
rail. stat. and intersects the Corso Vitt. Emanuele at a right'
angle , as far as the Piazza Cino, and here turn to the r. into
the Via Cavour, he will soon reach the old Romanesque church
of 8. Giovanni Fuoricivitas (Evangelista), erected about 1160, with
a facade decorated in the Pisan fashion with rows of columns.
Gruamons, whose name is inscribed above the relief of the Last