276 Route 51.
Fra Filippo Lippi. — The Palazzo Pretorio, an edifice of the
16th cent., is also situated in the Piazza S. Michele. Opposite
the N. portal of the church rises the statue of S. Burlamacchi
(d. 1548), by Cambi, erected in 1833.
*S. Frediano (St. Frigidianus) (PL 2), a basilica of the 7th
cent., on the N. side of the town, was founded by the Lombard
kings Bertharic and Cunibert, in honour of an Irish saint of that
name, who was bishop of Lucca in 560—78. The present facade
was erected in the 12th cent, on the site of the former apse; the
Ascension in mosaic w th which it is adorned was restored in 1827.
The nave was originally flanked with double aisles, the outer of
which have been converted into two series of chapels. Most of
the 22 columns are ancient.
The "Cappella di S. Agostino (2nd to the 1.) contains two old "frescoes
by Amico Aspertini, pupil of Francia, judiciously retouched by Michele
Ridolfl. On the ceiling God the Father, surrounded by angels, prophets and
sibyls; in the lunette to the 1. the Entombment; below it, to the 1., an
image of Christ found in the sea (Volto Santo, p. 274), drawn by two oxen,
r. St. Augustine, baptized by St. Ambrosius at Milan. In the lunette on
the wall on the r. St. Augustine instructing his pupils, and presenting them
with the rules of his order; beneath, to the 1., the Nativity and Adoration
of the Magi; r. the miracles of S. Frediano, who checks an inundation of
the sea. — In the Cappella del Sagramento (4th to the 1.) an altar
with reliefs by Jacopo della Quercia (1422), a Madonna with four saints. —
Over the altar to the r. behind the pulpit is the "Coronation of Mary;
below are king David and Solomon, St. Anselm and St. Augustine, by
Francesco Francia (covered). At the foot of the picture are four scenes
from the history of the Augustine Order. — The 2nd chapel on the r. from
the entrance contains the tomb of St. Zita , the patroness of Lucca, men¬
tioned by Dante (Inferno 21, 28); in the church, in front of the chapel,
the ancient font, with unexplained representations by Magister Robertus
If the traveller now cross the Piazza S. Frediano which ad¬
joins the church on the E., and turn either to the r. or 1., he
will reach an entrance to the Piazza del Mercato (PL D, 2), with
remains of a Roman Amphitheatre, consisting of two series of
arcades, each of 54 arches; the lowest rows of seats are covered
with rubbish. Remnants of an ancient theatre are also shown
near the church of S. Maria di Corte Landini.
S. Francesco (Ll. 3), a spacious edifice, erected in 1442, con¬
tains the monuments of the poet Giov. Guidiccioni (16th cent.)
and the celebrated Castruccio Casttacani (d. 1328), to the r. by
the wall, between the 3rd and 4th altars.
Among the numerous charitable institutions of Lucca may be
mentioned the Deposito di Mendicita (poor-house), established in
the Italian-Gothic Palazzo Borghi, with lofty tower, erected in
1413 by Paolo Guinigi, chief of one of the most powerful families
of Lucca. Among the Libraries the most remarkable are the
Archiepiscopal, containing 20 valuable MSS. and 400 rare editions,
the Library of the Chapter with about 500 MSS. , the Biblioteca.
Reale with MSS. (amongst them Latin poems of Tasso, written