to Florence. LUCCA. 5/. Route. 275
of the Virgin, by Jacopo Ligozzi. Over the 2nd altar: the Presentation in
the Temple, by A. Bronzino. L. of the entrance, Descent from the Cross,
and St. Nicodemus carving the Volto Santo (see above), a fresco by Cosimo
Roselli. On the pavement of the nave, inlaid work of coloured stones,
representing Solomon's Judgment.
At the back of the cathedral is the small Chapel of Sta.
Maria della Rosa, a remarkable Gothic structure of 1333.
The Bishops (since 1726 Archbishops) of Lucca enjoy special
privileges and wear scarlet robes like those of the Cardinals; the
18 canons and 33 minor ecclesiastics also possess higher distinctions
than those usually appertaining to their rank.
S. Giovanni (PL 4), near the cathedral, is a basilica of the
8th or 9th cent. , with nave, aisles, and transept. The facade
is modern with the exception of the portal, over which there is
a relief of the Madonna with the Apostles of the 12th cent.,
and groups of animals on the r. and 1. In the interior the coffered
ceiling is supported by ten columns, of which the three fluted are
probably ancient. In the 1. aisle a monument to Giov. Farina
(d. 1847). — Adjoining the 1. transept is a venerable Baptistery,
the roof of which was renewed during the Gothic period.
■ A few paces from this church, the traveller reaches the
*Piazza Maggiore (Napoleone), with the Palazzo Pubblico, where
in 1843 a handsome *Monument was erected to the Duchess
Marie Louise, in recognition of the service rendered by her to
the town by the erection (1823—32) of an aqueduct (worthy of
inspection) of 459 arches. — The Palazzo Pubblico (PL 10),
formerly Ducale, commenced in 1578 from designs by Ammanati,
but still incomplete, contains a small and choice Collection of
Pictures, most of them modern, by Michele Ridolfi (of Lucca,
d. 1853), Nocchi (Aurora), Giovanetti, Camuccini, etc.
Not far from the Piazza Maggiore is the church of 8. Ales¬
sandro , a simple structure completed before 1080, containing
fine antique columns.
A short distance farther, at the end of the street diverging
to the 1. opposite the 'Croce di Malta' hotel, is situated S. Romano
(PL 8), which existed as early as the 8th cent., but was
remodelled in the 17th by Vincenzo Buonamici. It contains two
excellent pictures by Fra Bartolommeo, the *Madonna della
Misericordia, of 1515, and *God the Father with Mary Magdalene
and St. Catharine of Siena, of 1509 (both covered). Behind
the high altar the sarcophagus of St. Romanus, attributed to
The traveller next proceeds to the venerable church of S.
Michele (PL 6), founded in 764 by Teutprandus and his wife
Gumpranda, with an oveT-decorated facade of 1188, rising high
above the nave, and surmounted by an angel with brazen wings.
The row of columns on the S. side was added in 1377. The
1st Chapel r. of the entrance contains a Madonna in Trono by