246 Route 45. LORETO.
standing. A walk round it is recommended for the sake of the
beautiful view it affords. The Palazzo Pubblico in the spacious
Piazza contains inscriptions and statues of celebrated natives of
the place, dating from the imperial period, barbarously mutilated
on the occasion of the capture of the town in the 16th cent.
One of the inscriptions mentions Pompey, who was settled for a
time in Picenum. — From Osimo to Loreto in l!/2 hr. by carr.
(one-horse 5 fr.).
Proceeding hence by railway , the traveller perceives (on the
r.) Castelfidardo, where on Sept. 18th, 1860, the papal troops
under Lamoriciere were totally defeated by the Italians under
Cialdini. Lamoriciere fled with a few attendants to Ancona,
where he was soon compelled to capitulate.
Loreto (Campana, or Posta, in the principal street; Pace;
omnib. to the town 60 c), situated on a hill at some distance
from the line, and affording admirable * views of the sea, the
Apennines, and the province of Ancona, is a celebrated resort
of pilgrims (half a million annually).
The *Chiesa della Casa Santa (or 'Church of the Holy House')
is architecturally uninteresting. The handsome facade was erected
under Sixtus V., a colossal statue of whom adorns the entrance
flight of steps. Over the principal door is a life-size statue of
the Madonna and Child, by Girolamo Lombardo, his sons, and
Ins pupils; also three superb bronze- doors, executed under
Pope Paul V. , 1605—21, and worthy of comparison with those
of Pisa and Florence. The campanile, designed by Vanvitelli, is
a very lofty structure in a richly decorated style , surmounted by
an octagonal pyramid. The principal bell, presented by Pope
Leo X. in 1516, weighs 11 tons.
In the interior, 1. of the entrance, a beautiful font, cast in
bronze by Tiburzio Vercelli and Giambattista Vitale, and adorned
with basreliefs and figures of Faith, Hope, Charity, and Fortitude.
On the altars and in the chapels of the nave, * mosaics repre¬
senting St. Francis of Assist, by Domenichino, and the Archangel
Michael, by Guido Reni; also a number of valuable pictures,
frescoes and sculptures.
In the centre of the church rises the 'Casa Santa', a simple
brick-building, 13 ft. in height, 27 ft. in length, and 12 ft. in
width, surrounded by a lofty *Marble Sreen designed by Bramante,
and executed by a number of the most celebrated masters (San¬
sovino, Girolamo Lombardo, Giovanni da Bologna, Bandinelli, etc.).
It was commenced under Leo X., continued under Clemens VII.
and completed under Paul III. The four sides are adorned with
beautiful sculptures, reliefs, statues of prophets and sibyls, etc.
W. Side. "Annunciation, by Sansovino, termed by Vasari 'una opera
divina'; smaller representations by Sang alio, Gir. Lombardo, and Gugl.
S. Side. '""Nativity, by Sansovino; David and G'diath, Sibyls, Ado¬
ration of the Magi, by other masters.