242 Route 44. FANG. From Bologna
kneeling figures of the donors , members of the Buffi family (not of the
family of Raphael, as was formerly believed); St. Rochus and Tobias by
Timoteo della Vite; also monuments of the princes of Urbino.
S. Francesco di Paola, with two pictures of Titian, the Resurrection and
Eucharist. — S. Giuseppe, with a 'Madonna by Timoteo della Vite, and (in
the oratorio) a copy of Raphael's Sposalizio by Andrea Urbani. — The
Oratorio of the Confraterniid di S. Giovanni is covered with paintings by
Lorenzo da S. Severino and his brother, of the school of Giotto, History of
the Virgin and John the Baptist. — The college near S. Agata contains an
interesting picture by Justus van Ghent, a pupil of Van Eyck, of 1774. —
In the church of "S. Bernardino, 3j4 M. from the town, are the tombs of
the dukes Federigo and Guidobaldo; in the sacristy 13 painted panels by
Antonio di Ferrieri (1435), and the Dead Christ by Giovanni Santi.
RapliaeTs House is indicated by an inscription. On one of the walls is
a Madonna with sleeping Child, long regarded as an early production of
Raphael, but ascertained to have been executed by his father Giovanni Santi.
It is intended to erect in his native town a monument worthy of the great
master, for which purpose a committee has for some years existed.
In the Theatre, formerly celebrated for its decorations by Girolamo
Genga, the first Italian comedy was performed. This was the Calandra of
Cardinal Bibbiena (or rather Bernardo Divizio of Bibbiena in the Casentino,
b. 1470, d. at Rome 1520), the friend of Pope Leo X. and patron of Raphael.
From the height occupied by the Foriezza an interesting * survey of
the sterile chain of the Apennines may be made.
From Urbino a small diligence runs daily to Fossombrone in 3 hrs. The
traveller may alight at the point where the road reaches the Metaurus, and
visit the neighbouring " Furlo Pass on foot. A carr. may be procured at
the village of Acqualagna (3'|2 M.) to convey the traveller back to Fossom¬
brone. Communication between Fossombrone and Fano is kept up by vet-
turini, by the diligence from Perugia 3 times weekly, and by the corriere
daily. The traveller bound for Rome may therefore easily accomplish an
excursion to Urbino, either from Pesaro, or from Fossombrone.
From Pesaro to Ancona the line skirts the coast, occasionally
approaching within a few yards of the sea, of which a pleasant
view is afforded.
Fano (II Mora; Tre Re), the ancient Fanum Fortunae, is in¬
debted for its origin to a temple of Fortune, a fact commemo¬
rated by a modern statue of Fortune on the public fountain. It
afterwards became a prosperous place, and was celebrated as the
birthplace of Vitruvius. It is now a pleasant little town, sur¬
rounded by ancient walls and a deep moat, and sometimes visited
as a watering-place (less expensive than Rimini).
The principal attraction is the *Triumphal Arch of Augustus,
originally a structure of very simple design, to which an addi¬
tional story was added in the 4th cent, when it was re-dedicated
Churches: *Calhedral of 8. Fortunato; in front of it are four
recumbent lions which formerly supported the pillars of the
portico. In the interior the chapel of S. Girolamo (2nd to
the 1.) contains a monument of the Rainalducci family; nearly
opposite (4th to the r.) is a chapel adorned with 16 frescoes by
Domenichino, once excellent, now disfigured by restorations. In
the chapel of the sacristy, a Madonna with two saints, by Lodovico
S. Maria Nuova possesses two fine paintings by Pietro