238 Route 44. RIMINI. From Bolognn
president. The other four were Pesaro, Fano, Sinigaglia, and Ancona. In
2ti0 Ariminum became an episcopal see, and in 359 a Council against Ari-
anism was held here. The town afterwards belonged to the Lombards. In
1200 it was given by Otho IV. to the Malatesta, who were at first vicege¬
rents of the emperor, but subsequently hereditary princes. In 1503 they
surrendered the town to the Venetians, from whom it was finally wrested
by the Pope. The insurrections which broke out here in 1845 and 1853
were quelled, but the town at last threw off the papal yoke in 1860.
The broad road leading from the station enters the gate,
beyond which it is termed Via Principe Umberto. After a walk
of about 4 min. the visitor should diverge to the 1. by the Via
al Tempio Malatestiano, which soon leads to the principal
*S. Francesco (Duomo, Tempio dei Malatesta), erected in the
14th cent, in the Ital. Gothic style, but magnificently remodel¬
led in 1420 by Sigismundo Malatesta from designs by Leo Bat-
tista Alberti in accordance with the then prevailing classical style.
On the coping round the church are the arms of the Malatesta
and several other families connected with them. The seven
vaults of the S. side contain the sarcophagi of the poets, philo¬
sophers , orators, and warriors whom Sigismund Malatesta, the
brave and illustrious enemy of Pius II., entertained at his court.
The Interior, destitute of aisles, has an open roof and a series of
spacious lateral chapels. To the r. of the entrance is the monument of
Sigismund (d. 1468). On the r. between the 1st and 2nd chapels is the
entrance to the Chapel of the Relics (which the sacristan opens), con¬
taining a fresco by Pietro della Francesca ('Pietri de Burgo opus 1481') re¬
presenting Sigismund Malatesta kneeling before his tutelary saint St. Sigis¬
mund, king of Hungary. — The 2nd Chapel on the r., that of S. Michele,
contains the tomb of Isotta (d. 1450), the wife of Sigismund. — The marble
reliefs on the next chapel del S. Sagramento, are ascribed to Ghiberti.
— The 1st Chapel on the 1., restored in 1868, was destined by Sigismund
Malatesta for the reception of his ancestors and descendants, as the inscrip¬
tion on the sarcophagus on the 1. records.
From the small piazza in front of the church, the Via Patara
leads S. to the Piazza Giulio Cesare, the ancient forum. A stone
Pedestal here bears an inscription of 1855, according to which
Caesar harangued his army from it after the passage of the Ru¬
bicon. Near it is a small chapel erected on the spot where St.
Antony once preached, and another on the canal where the saint
is said to have preached to the fishes because the people refused
to hear him. — The Corso d'Augusto, which crosses this piazza,
leads to the 1. to the Porta Romana, and to the r. to the Piazza
Cavour and the br dge of Augustus.
The * Porta Romana is a triumphal arch of travertine of
simple design, erected to Augustus to commemorate the resto¬
ration of the roads, as the inscription informs us. Above are
medallion figures, on the inside Jupiter and Minerva, on the
outside Neptune and Venus. — Near the Cappuccini are the sup¬
posed remains of an Amphitheatre (to which the Via dell' An-
titeatro, the second side-street of the Corso from the Porta Ro¬