to Ancona. RIMINI. 44. Route. 237
'Cosi com' ella sie' ira il piano e il monte,
Tra tirannia si vive e stato franco.'
On Feb. 1st, 1377, the town was cruelly sacked by Cardinal
Robert of Geneva, and subsequently by Cesare Borgia, after
which it was incorporated with the states of the Church.
In the Piazza is the handsome * Palazzo Pubblico with a sta¬
tue of Pius VI., who was born at Cesena in 1717. In the in¬
terior a * Madonna with saints, by Francesco Francia. The Ca¬
puchin Church possesses a fine picture by Guercino.
The chief attraction is the * Library, founded in 1452 by
Domenico Malatesta Novello, brother of the prince of Rimini,
containing 4000 MSS., many of them executed by order of the
founder, and afterwards employed by the erudite Aldus Manu-
tius in the preparation of his celebrated editions of the classics.
On an eminence, '/2 M. distant, stands the handsome church
of *8. Maria del Monte, a work of Bramante, and a Benedic¬
tine monastery. Productive sulphur-mines in the vicinity, to¬
wards the S.
The line crosses the stream Pisciatello, the upper part of
which, termed Vrgone, is identical with the river Rubicon of the
ancients, the boundary between Italia proper and the Province
of Gallia Cisalpina, and memorable for its passage by Caesar at
the commencement of the civil war between him and Pompey,
B. C. 49.
The most recent investigations tend to show that the Rubicon has en¬
tirely abandoned its ancient course. It appears originally to have fallen into
the Fiumicino, farther S., whilst at the present day its upper portion (TJr-
gone) unites with the Pisciatello. Most of the towns and villages in this
district have in turn laid claim to the distinction of possessing the Rubicon
within their territory. Nor did they rest satisfied with a mere literary feud
in order to gain the object of their ambition. An action involving this
question was instituted at Rome, and in 1756 the 'Rota' decided in favour
of the claim of the Uso (p. 256), beyond the small town of Savignano, and
near S. Arcangelo (birthplace of Pope Clement XIV. Ganganelli, in 1705).
On the road between Cesena and Savignano stands a column bearing a de¬
cree of the Roman senate, threatening to punish those who should without
authority trespass beyond the Rubicon. Montesquieu regarded this as genuine,
but it is unquestionably one of several spurious monuments erected at dif¬
ferent places during the continuance of the Rubicon controversy.
The line now crosses the TJso, and then the Marecchia.
Bimini (*Tre Re e Posta, Aquila d'Oro, both in the Corso;
Trattoria d'Europa in the Piazza Cavour; Caffe della Speranza in
the Piazza Giulio Cesare; *Rail. Restaur.), beautifully situated
near the Adriatic at the mouth of the Ausa and Marecchia, with
33,000 (town alone 16,000) inhab. , is sometimes visited as a
sea-bathing place (pleasant walk of 1 M. to the sea). Silk and
fish are the staple commodities here. The modern, as well as
the ancient edifices of Rimini deserve a visit.
Rimini, the ancient Ariminum, a town of the Umbrians, became a Ro¬
man colony in B. C. 269, and was extended and embellished by Csesar and
Augustus. During the Exarchate it was the most N. of the Pentapolis Ma-
ritima, or 'Five Maritime Cities', which were under the jurisdiction of one