236 Route 44. CESENA. From Bologna
del Fuoco; in the dome of the latter *frescoes by Carlo Cig-
nani (1686—1706): Assumption of the Virgin. The painter is
buried in the chapel. A Ciborium from a design by Michael
Angelo, a casket of relics of the 14th cent. , and the sculptures
of the principal door of the 15th cent, are worthy of notice.
8. Girolamo contains a Madonna with angels by Guido Reni,
in the 1st chapel to the r. * frescoes by Melozzo and Palmezzano.
S. Mercuriale possesses a *painting by Innocenzo da Imola,
sculptures of 1536, and several good pictures by Marco Palmez¬
zano, an artist of this town. Lofty campanile.
On a house adjoining that of the druggist Morandi, are remains
of fine frescoes by Melozzo da Forli (about 1470). The Pinacoteca
(in the Ginnasio Comunale, Piazza di S. Pellegrino) contains
good pictures by Marco Palmezzano, Cignani, Fra Angelico, Lo¬
renzo di Credi, etc.
The Piazza with the Palazzo Comunale and other edifices de¬
serves a visit.
The Citadel, constructed in 1361, now serves as a prison.
In the 15th cent, it was occupied by Girolamo Riario, nephew
of Pope Sixtus IV., who married Catharina Sforza, the natural
daughter of Gian Galeazzo. This prince was implicated in the
conspiracy of the Pazzi, in consequence of which he was assas¬
sinated by his own officers in his palace at Forli. Notwithstand¬
ing this, his widow Catharine Sforza took possession of the ci¬
tadel and defended it bravely. In 1499 she again heroically re¬
sisted the attacks of the united forces of the French and the
Pope under Cesare Borgia, till her stronghold was reduced to
the utmost extremities and captured, and she was carried off
as a prisoner to the Castle of St. Angelo. — The poet Corne¬
lius Gallus, the historian Flavio Biondo, and the anatomist Mor-
gagni were natives of Forli.
A road leads from Forli on the 1. bank of the Ronco to Ravenna (about
15 M.); another through the Apennines by Rocca S. Casciano and 8. Bene¬
detto to Florence, diligence 3 times weekly, corriere daily at noon.
The line to Rimini crosses the Ronco and passes stat. For-
limpopoli, the ancient Forum Popilii; to the r. on the hill, Berti-
noro with its productive vineyards; then by Polenta and across
the Savio (Sapis) to the town of
Cesena (*Posta, or Leone Bianco), with 7777 inhab., sur¬
rounded by beautiful meadows and hills, and embellished with
handsome palaces, one of the most ancient episcopal sees in
Italy, where St. Philemon is said to have held the office as early
as the year 92. In ancient history Csesena is frequently men¬
tioned as a town of the Cisalpine Gauls. During the middle
ages it was at first an independent state, then became subject
to the Ghibelline family of Montefeltro, and shortly afterwards
to the Malatesta, who were partizans of the Guelphs. This
rapid change of rulers is alluded to by Dante, Inf. XXVII, 52: