FORLI. 44. Route. 235
Faenza (Corona; Posta), a town with 36,000 inhab. on the
Lamone (ancient Anemo), the Faventia of the Boii, the scene of
Sulla's victory over Carbo. In the middle ages it was the wit¬
ness of numerous feuds, a circumstance alluded to by Dante,
Inferno XXVII, 49:
'Le citta di Lamone e di Santerno
Conduce il lioncel dal nido bianco.'
A small lion on a white ground belonged to the armorial bearings
of Mainardo Pagani, prince of Imola and Faenza at the period
alluded to. Faenza was afterwards (in 1376) taken and plunde¬
red by Sir John Hawkswood, the commander of the troops of
Pope Gregory XL , and in 1509 annexed by Pope Julius II. to
the States of the church.
The town is celebrated for its pottery (whence the term
'faience'*), and contains considerable silk and weaving manu¬
The cathedral of S. Costanzo contains a *Holy Family by
Innocenzo da Imola, and bas-reliefs by Benedetto da Majano.
The Capuchin Monastery, outside the town, possesses a good
picture by Guido Reni, a * Madonna and St. John.
In 8. Maglorio a *Madonna, attributed to Giorgione, more
probably by Girolamo da Treviso. By the latter a fine fresco
(1533), Madonna with saints, in the Commenda (in the Borgo),
where there is also a Collection of Pictures by native masters,
such as Bertucci etc.
The Palazzo Comunale was in the 15th cent, the scene of
the murder of Galeotto Manfredi by his jealous wife Francesca
Bentivoglio; the grated window in the centre, where the deed
was perpetrated, is still shown.
In 1782 the Canale Zanelli was constructed from Faenza to
the Po di Primaro near S. Alberto, in order to connect the town
with the Adriatic.
A good road leads ffrom Faenza to Ravenna (diligence 3 times weekly),
and another by Marradi and Borgo S. Lorenzo to Florence (corriere daily;
diligence 3 times weekly in 12 hrs.; office, Corso 68).
The line intersects the plain in a straight direction, the La¬
mone is crossed, then the Montone, which falls into the Adriatic
not far from Ravenna.
Forli (Posta), the ancient Forum Livii, founded by M. Li-
vius Salinator after the defeat of Hasdrubal, is a well-built-town
with 36,000 inhab., seat of the cardinal-legate till 1848. The
nuptials of Athaulf, king of the Visigoths, with Galla Placidia,
sister of the Emp. Honorius were solemnized here in 410. Forli
was long an independent state, in which the Guelphs retained
their ascendancy till 1315. The Ordelaffi then usurped the su¬
preme power, and in 1504 the town was finally annexed to the
States of the Church by Julius II.
The * Cathedral of S. Croce contains a chapel of the Madonna