234 Route 44. IMOLA.
The route to it is the principal road from the gate; after l/^M.
a cross indicates the way to the cemetery, which is reached about
3/4 M. farther (custodian i/2 fr.). This burial-ground is one of
the most interesting in Italy. The church contains a few paint¬
ings by Sirani and others; in the cloisters a number of old
tombstones; in the arcades modern monuments, most of them in
marble. In the centre are the ordinary graves. Among the
many illustrious names on the former are those of the erudite
Gaspar Garatoni (d. 1817) and the talented Clotilda Tambroni
(d. 1817) (p. 226). Noble families of the town also possess
vaults here. Thus the monument of Letizia Murat Pepoli
(d. 1859), with a statue of her father King Murat ('propugna-
tore dell' italica indipendenza'), executed by Vine. Vela in 1865.
A rotunda here contains the busts of celebrated professors,
Mezzofanti, Galvani, Costa, Schiassi, Mattei (teacher of Rossini) etc.
On the Monte della Guardia, a fortified eminence outside the
Porta Saragozza (2'/2 M.), lies the sumptuous pilgrimage-church
of the '"Madonna di S. Luca, erected by Dotti in 1731, so called
from an ancient picture of the Virgin pretended to have been
painted by St. Luke, brought from Constantinople in 1160.
A passage leads to a colonnade of 635 arches (constructed
1676—1739), about 1 M. in length, extending along the height.
Remarkably fine view from the summit, extending from the
Apennines to the Adriatic. The finest points are beneath the
portal of the church and by the new intrenchments.
44. From Bologna to Ancona.
Railway in 5'|4—8 hrs.; fares 22 fr. 45, 18 fr., 13 fr. 50 c. - Beau¬
tiful views of the sea between Rimini and Cattolica, then beyond Pesaro.
A seat on the left should therefore be selected.
From the railway-station on the N. side of the city the line
runs parallel with the high-road in the direction of the ancient
Via ^Emilia, and as far as Forli traverses fertile plains in nearly
a straight direction; in the distance to the r. the spurs of the
Apennines. Stat. Mirandola and Quaderna. Stat. Castel S. Pietro,
on the Silaro, with a castle erected by the Bolognese in the
Imola (8. Marco), on the Santerno, is an ancient town with
26,000 inhab. and seat of a bishop (since 422), the Roman Fo¬
rum Cornelii, incorporated with the States of the Church in 1509,
birthplace of St. Petrus Chrysologus, archbishop of Ravenna (d.
449); his tomb is in the cathedral of S. Cassiano, where the
remains of the saint of that name also repose.
The line crosses the Santerno and soon reaches stat. Castel
Bolognese (poor Restaur.), an ancient stronghold of the Bolognese,
constructed in 1380. Branch-line hence to Ravenna see p. 248,
Then across the river Senio, ancient Sinnus, to