Certosa. BOLOGNA. 43. Route. 233
Pal. Bevilacqua Vincenzi (PL 54), attributed to Bramantino,
possesses a magnificent court. The Council of Trent (p. 60)
held its sessions for a short period here in 1547.
Pal. Fava (PL 57) is decorated with beautiful *frescoes by
the Caracci from the history of Jason and iEneas.
Pal. Pepoli (PL 64), date 1344, is the castellated seat of
this once influential family.
Pal. Tanari (PL 67) and Pal. Zambeccari di S. Paolo (PL 69)
possess paintings by Domenichino, Innocenzo da Imola, the
Caracci, Carlo Dolce, Guercino, etc.
Pal. Zampieri (PL 70), with the inscription 'Galleria Zam-
pierV, is always accessible (</2 fr.). It is adorned with ad¬
mirable frescoes from the history of Hercules by the Caracci and
Guercino. The old and celebrated picture-gallery it once con¬
tained has been sold. The collection made by the present pro¬
prietor, comprising several good works of the Bolognese school,
is also for sale.
The adjoining House of Rossini (PL 71), in the Via Maggiore,
was erected by the great composer in 1825 , and furnished with
inscriptions from Cicero and Virgil. The houses of Guercino and
Guido Reni, the latter with frescoes by the master himself, are
also pointed out.
The Collegio di Spagna (PL 40), in the Strada Saragozza,
founded in 1364 by Cardinal Albornoz, contains frescoes (damaged)
by the Caracci and Bagnacavallo. The Coronation of Emp.
Charles V. at S. Petronio (p. 228) by the latter is very interest¬
ing on account of the portraits of the principal characters, who
were contemporaries of the artist.
Within the wall, on the N. side of the town, near the Porta
Galliera leading to the station, rises La Montagnola, a slight
eminence, converted during the first French occupation into a pro¬
menade , and still a favourite popular resort. Fine view of the
town, with the villas on the spurs of the Apennines in the fore¬
ground. Here is situated the Giuoco di Pallone (PL 76, p. 226).
The Austrians were attacked here by the Bolognese in 1848 and
compelled to evacuate the town. On the S. is the Piazza d'Armi.
The Strada Saragozza leads to the gate of that name at the
S.W. extremity of the town. Outside this gate, 3/4 M. S. of the
town, rises *S. Michele in Bosco, once an Olivetan monastery
(suppressed 1797), now a royal chateau. The church contains
remnants of frescoes by Bagnacavallo and others. The court of
the buildings is adorned with finely executed *frescoes by the
Caracci and their pupils, from the history of St. Benedict and
St. Cecilia, but unfortunately much injured.
Outside the Porta S. Isaia, at the W. extremity of the town
is situated the *Certosa (formerly a Carthusian monastery),
erected in 1335, and consecrated in 1801 as a Campo Santo.