232 Route 43. BOLOGNA. Leaning Towers.
Proculus; the picture was painted in 1616 for the Town Council, who re¬
warded the painter with a valuable gold chain and medal, in addition to
his remuneration; "135. Guido Reni, Slaughter of the Innocents; 138. G.
Reni, Madonna del Rosario, painted on silk in 1630 (as a procession-flag).
— In the Corridor: r. Cima da Conegliano Madonna; 1. 275. Raph. Mengs,
Portrait of Clement XIII. — 5 th R. : Altar-pieces of the 14th and 15th
cent, by Vitale, Simone da Bologna, Jacopo Avanzi, Antonio and Barlolom-
meo Vivarini of Murano (about 1450); in the centre, 360. Niccolb Alunno da
Foligno, Madonna adoring the Child, on the back, Annunciation , presented
by Pope Pius IX. in 1856; 102. Wings of an altar-piece (now in the Brera
at Milan , p. 118) by Giotto, from the church degli Angioli, with SS. Peter,
Paul, and the angels Michael and Gabriel. — 6th R.: above the door, 292.
Innocenzo da Imola, Virgin and Child with saints; several pictures of Guido
Reni, the Caracci, etc. A number of pictures from suppressed monasteries,
by Francia and others, are still in disorder.
At the E. extremity of the Mercato di Mezzo, almost in the
centre of the town, are the Leaning Towers, the most singular
structures in Bologna. The Torre Asinelli (PL 78), erected in
1109 by Gherardo degli Asinelli, is 272 ft. in height and 3 ft.
4 in. out of the perpendicular. A rough staircase of 447 steps
leads to the summit, which commands a fine view towards
Verona, the Monti Euganei (p. 179), and the Alps. The Torre
Garisenda (PL 79), erected in 1110 by Filippo and Ottone
Garisendi, is 138 ft. high only, but is 8 ft. out of the perpen¬
dicular towards the S., and 3 ft. towards the E. Since the last
measurement (1772), it is said to have settled still farther.
Dante (Inferno XXXI, 136) compares the giant Antaeus, who bends
towards him, to this tower, 'when a cloud passes over it'. Their
obliquity has been occasioned by the settling of the foundations
(comp. p. 268), in consequence of which the Garisenda was never
completed. — In this piazza is situated S. Bartolommeo di Porta
Ravegnana (PL 3), erected in 1653, a church in the baroque
style surmounted by a dome, containing pictures by Lod. Caracci,
Albani, Guido Reni, Tiarini, etc. — The *Palazzo della Mercanzia,
or Loggia de' Mercanti (Chamber of Commerce, PL 43), farther S.,
at the corner of the streets S. Stefano and Castiglione, is a
beautiful Gothic structure, said to have been erected in 1294,
restored by the Bentivogli in 1493. It contains the armorial
bearings of all the jurists who taught law here from 1441 to 1800.
Of the Palaces the following are the most interesting:
Pal. Bacciocchi, formerly Ranuzzi (PL 52), possesses a facade
by Andrea Pulladio and a colonnade by Bibiena. It was once
the residence of Napoleon's sister Elise Bacciocchi, and still con¬
tains a number of portraits and statues of members of the
Pal. Bargeliini, now Davia, Strada Maggiore, with the studio
of Prof. Baruzzi, one of Canova's most eminent pupils.
Pal. Bentivoglio (PL 53), erected in the 16th cent, on the
site of the ancient mansion of this powerful family, which was
destroyed under Pope Julius II. , was frequently a residence of