230 Route 43.
him with frescoes. In the Choir large paintings of the Resurrection etc.
by Tommaso Lauretti. In the 3rd of the choir-chapels a gilded altar with
numerous saints, 1. on the wall a large painted crucifix by Simone de' Cro-
cefissi (1319?); 5th Chapel, sculptures in marble by Gius. Mazza; 6th "Cap.
de' Bentivogli contains a Madonna, the best work of Fr. Francia, and
frescoes by Lorenzo Costa; opposite to it the monument of Antonio Bentivo-
glio (d. 1435) by Jacopo della Querela. The 9th Chapel in the left aisle
contains a Presentation in the Temple, by Agost. Caracci.
The sacristan of S. Giacomo is also the custodian of the ad¬
jacent oratory of *S. Cecilia (PI. 6), erected in 1481 by Giovanni
Bentivoglio, and adorned with superb paintings. The frescoes by
Fr. Francia and his pupils represent the legend of St. Valerian
and St. Cecilia (Nos. 1. and 10. by Fr. Francia, 2. and 9. by
Costa, 3. and 8. by Giacomo Francia, 4. by Chiodarolo, 5., 6.,
and 7. by Aspertini.
Among the other churches may be mentioned:
S. Giovanni in Monte (PL 15), one of the oldest churches
in Bologna, founded by St. Petronius in 433, was re-erected in
the Gothic style in 1221, restored 1824. It is adorned with
paintings by Lor. Costa (Coronation of Mary in the choir) and
Guercino (3rd chapel r.). The 7th chapel on the 1. contained
Raphael's St. Cecilia (now in the museum, p. 231) till 1796.
The 6th chapel on the 1. contains an admirable bronze statue of
Christ over the altar.
S. Martino Maggiore (PL 26), a church of the Carmelites
in the Gothic style, dates from 1313. The 1st chapel on the 1.
contains an Enthroned Madonna with angels, by Fr. Francia;
over the 5th altar on the 1. an Assumption by Lorenzo Costa;
5th altar r., Madonna and two saints, by Amico Aspertini.
S. Pietro, the cathedral (PL 2), begun in 1605, with circular
vaulting, and destitute of aisles, has a series of spacious chapels
on each side, over which is a triforium. In the chapter-room St.
Peter with the Madonna; above the choir an Annunciation, the
last work of Lod. Caracci. — Adjoining it on the N. is the
Palazzo Arcivescovile (PL 42), with a handsome court constructed
by Tibaldi in 1577. — In the vicinity, to the N.W. of S. Pietro,
is the small church of the Madonna di Galliera (PL 20), pos¬
sessing an interesting, but dilapidated facade of 1470.
S. Vitale ed Agricola (PL 38) was consecrated by St. Petro¬
nius in 428. The large chapel on the 1. contains an altar-piece
by Fr. Francia; the frescoes on the r. side are by Giac. Francia,
those on the 1. by Bagnacavallo.
If the traveller who has come from S. Cecilia continue to
follow the Strada Luigi Zamboni (formerly Str. S. Donato), he
will soon reach (on the r.) the University, established since 1803
in the former Palazzo Cellesi (PL 47), with a superb court, erected
by Triachini, after that of Salerno the oldest in Italy, founded
1119, now possessing a staff of 58 professors (400 stud.) and a
considerable number of scientific institutions (clinical hospital,