S. Domenico. BOLOGNA. 43. Route. 229
bearings, to the memory of professors of the university (Muratori,
Peggi, Malpighi, Mariani, etc.). The museum of antiquities here
is of little value.
*S. Domenico, formerly S. Bartolommeo (PI. 10), was re¬
ded cated to St. Dominic, who was horn in Castile in 1170, and
died here in 1221. The church, which is in the circular style, dates
from the 12th cent., but was completely remodelled during the 18th.
Interior. 3rd Chapel on the r., on the lower part of the altar a
Madonna by Franc. Francia, under glass; 5th Chapel on the r., old Italian
Madonna; 6th Chapel on the r., that of S. Domenico, containing the tomb
of the saint, a sarcophagus ('area') of white marble dating from 1267, with
reliefs from the life of the saint, by pupils of Giovanni Pisano; reliefs of the
front probably by the master himself, those of the base by F. Lombardi.
The kneeling '"angel on the 1. and St. Petronius are by Michael Angelo. Ad¬
ditions were made to the work in 1469 and 1532. In the half-dome over
the 'area' a transfiguration of the saint, by Guido Reni. In the Choir
magnificent inlaid stalls by Fra Damiano da Bergamo, 1528—51, among the
finest of the kind in Italy. Between the 1st and 2nd chapels on the 1. of
the choir is the monument of 'Hencius Rex', or king Enzio (p. 227), fre¬
quently restored; in the 2nd chapel that of Taddeo Pepoli, of 1337; oppo¬
site to it a portrait of St. Thomas Aquinas (d. 1274). In the 1. aisle is the
Cappella del Rosario with handsome frescoes by Guido Reni and Lod.
Caracci, containing monuments of Guido Keni (d. 1042) and of the talented
paintress Elisabeth Siraui (died of poison at. the age of 25, in 1655). In the
vestibule of the side-entrance is the monument of the jurist Alessandro Tar-
tagni, by Francesco di Siiiione (1477).
In the Piazza di S. Domenico, besides two columns with
statues of the saint and the Madonna, are two curious old
Monuments of the 13th cent., the more important of which,
standing alone, was erected in honour of Rolandino Passeggieri,
who distinguished himself in the contests between the town and
the Emp. Fred. Barbarossa (restored in 1868).
*S. Stefano (PL 36), a pile consisting of seven different
churches, containing ancient columns and mural paintings, bears
an inscription on the exterior, recording that it was founded on
the site of a temple of Isis, probably in the 15th cent. The
churches are not all on the same level, the last having been con¬
structed as a crypt below the iirst, and have been differently
arranged and fitted up according to the period of their erection.
The round church with the tomb of St. Petronius is the oldest and
most important at Bologna. An open court, termed the Atrio di
I'ilaio forms the centre of the pile; it contains a Coronation of
Mary, fresco by Bagnacarallo, and a Christ on the cross, with St.
Jerome and other Saints, by Fr. Francia. The neighbouring mo¬
nastery, now suppressed, possesses tine cloisters of the llih cent.
S. Giacomo Maggiore (PI. 13), founded 1267, consisting of
a nave with barrel-vaulting of 1497, is adorned with several ex¬
On the altar, immediately to the r. of the entrance, is the 'Vergine
della Cintura', attributed to Franc. Francia (covered with a view of the town
of Bologna, over which angels hover); 7th Chapel on the r. Marriage of St.
Catharine, by Innocenzo da Imola; 9lh Chapel, St. ltochus with an angel,
by Lod. Caracci; lllh Chapel, erected by Pcllegr. Tibaldi, and decorated by