120 Route 19. MILAN.
the inscription, on the r. and L, the river-gods of the Po und Ticino. L.
beneath the cornice, the entrance of Emp. Francis into Milan in 1820,
above it the battle of Kulm, below it the surrender of Dresden. R-
the foundation of the Lombard and Venetian kingdom, above it the pas¬
sage of the Rhine, below it the taking of Lyons, all by Pompeo Marchesi.
Beneath the great arch the foundation of the 'Holy Alliance' in two re¬
liefs. On the W. side the battle Of Arcis - sur - Aube, E. the victory of
Lyons , by Marchesi. Side towards the country : river - gods of the Taglia-
niento and Adige, by Marchesi. Beneath the cornice on the 1. the Con¬
gress of Vienna, institution of the order of the Iron Crown, taking of
Paris; r. Peace of Paris , entry of the Allies into Paris, entry of General
Neipperg into Milan in 1814.
The Giardino Pubblico (PI. 41) is a favourite promenade,
near the Porta Venezia, especially frequented on Sunday after¬
noons. The Corso, or promenade of the fashionable world, is
6—7 p. m. in the Corso Vittorio Emanuele and outside the
These grounds have been enlarged by the addition of the
New Giardino Pubblico, by the Porta Nuova, in commemoration
of the liberation of Italy from the Austrian yoke, and now ex¬
tend from the Porta Venezia to the Porta Nuova. They consist
of fine avenues, artificial sheets of water, and even a small deer-
park. On a small island is a marble statue to Carlo Porta,
'poeta Milanese'. In front of the entrance to the new garden
rises the Statue of Cavour in bronze, on a lofty pedestal of
granite, in front Clio entering his name on her tablets, at the
back the date 1865. Several other statues also adorn the
By these grounds rises the Museo Civico (PI. 43) (admission
on Tuesd., Wed., and Sat. 11—3 o'clock, 50 c.; on Thursd.
gratis), containing natural history collections: on the 1 st floor
palaeontology and ethnography (also a phrenological collection of
skulls), on the 2nd floor zoology. At the entrance are busts
of former directors.
20. From Milan to Como. The Brianza.
Comp. Map, p. 124.
Railway from Milan to Camerlata in l'Ja hr.; fares 5 fr. 45, 4 fr., 2 fr.
85 c.; omnibus thence in 20 (in the reverse direction 35) min. to Como and
the steamboats , 50 c. Through-tickets to Como, Tremezzina, Cadenabbia,
Bellaggio, Menaggio, and Colico may be purchased at the railway-station at
Milan. Tickets for luggage must be given up at Camerlata; otherwise it
will remain there till claimed.
The railway traverses the fertile plain, luxuriantly clothed
with vineyards, mulberry-plantations, and fields of maize, and in¬
tersected by innumerable canals and cuttings for purposes of
irrigation. First stat. Sesto.
Monza (*Palazzo Reale; Angelo; Falcone; *Albergo del Cas¬
tello) is a town with 15,587 inhab. Leaving the station and follow¬
ing the Cor.^o d'ltalia to the r., the traveller reaches the Cathe¬
dral, the principal attraction here. It was erected in the 14th