Brera. MILAN. 19. Route. 117
by a dome. On the four principal sides are semi-circular apses
in two stories, each supported by four columns. The whole is
characterized by simple dignity. — R. of the church is the Chapel
of St. Aquilinus, containing very ancient mosaics and the sarco¬
phagus of the founder, the Gothic king Ataulph (d. 416). — The
extensive *Colonnade of 16 Corinthian columns in the same street
also appertained originally to the same ancient structure.
*S. Maria delle Grazie (PI. 22), near the W. gate (Porta
Magenta), an abbey-church of the 15th cent., was partially
erected by Bramante (choir, transept, and dome). The 4th chapel
on the r. contains frescoes by Gaudenzio Ferrari (Crucifixion,
Christ crowned with thorns, Christ scourged), and an altar-piece
(Descent from the Cross) by Caravaggio. In the 6th chapel fres¬
coes by Flamingo. R. by the organ a Madonna by Luini. In the
sacristy two frescoes by Luini. St. John, altar-piece by Oggionno.
In the S.E. angle of the small piazza to the N. of this
church is the entrance to the refectory of the former convent
of Sta. Maria delle Grazie (now used as a cavalry-barrack),
containing the celebrated **Last Supper of Leonardo da Vinci
(the 'custode del cenacolo' is generally in the refectory). The
picture is unfortunately in bad preservation , chiefly from having
been painted on the wall in oils. A fresco by Donato Montorfano
(Crucifixion) of 1495, opposite the Last Supper, is in a much
S. Maria di S. Celso (PI. 21), near the Porta Lodovica, also
erected by Bramante, contains a Baptism of Christ (behind the
high altar) by Gaudenzio Ferrari, a Madonna adoring the Child,
surrounded by John the Baptist, St. Rochus and the founders
of the picture, by Borgognone (1st chapel 1.) etc. Adjacent to
this church is S. Celso, a Romanesque structure, but partially
removed in 1826.
S. Maurizio (PI. 27), or Monastero Maggiore, a small church
in the Corso di Magenta, contains *frescoes by Luini in the nave
and choir (the best are the two adjoining the high altar).
The picture-gallery in the opposite Palace of the Duca Litta
was dispersed on the death of the proprietor in 1866.
Of the palaces of Milan, the following deserve special mention:
Palazzo Marino (PI. 52), now Municipio, a colossal structure
adjoining the Scala; Palazzo Ciani (PI. 54, Corso Venezia 59
—61), an edifice in terra cotta, completed in 1861, adorned with
heads of Victor Emmanuel, Garibaldi, Napoleon, etc.; Palazzo
Saporiti (PI. 56), with facade adorned with columns and statues.
The *Brera (PI. 50) or Palazzo delle Scienze ed Arti, acces¬
sible daily in summer 9—4, in winter 9—3, on Sundays 12—4
o'clock, formerly a Jesuits' College, contains the Picture Gallery
and Library of the Academy (170,000 vols. , about 1000 MSS.),
and a collection of Casts from the antique. The court contains