I 1 0 Route /.V.
The gallery , which contains attractive shops, is lighted in the
evening by 2000 gas-jets.
In the Piazza della Scala, where the theatre of that name is situated,
it is intended to erect a monument to Leonardo da Vinci, the pedestal of
which will be adorned with statues of his four pupils Salaino, Beltraffio,
Marco da Oggionno, and Cesare da Sesto. Leonardo (1452—1519) of Florence
was the founder of the Lombard school of painting and the most illustrious
master of whom the Milanese can boast.
*S. Ambrogio (PI. 7), situated in the distant W. quarter of
the city, founded hy St. Ambrose in the 4th cent, on the ruins
of a temple of Bacchus, dates in its present form from the 12th
cent. The style is Romanesque, but the effect is greatly marred
by the pointed vaulting. In front of the church is a fine oblong
forecourt or quadriporticus of the 9th cent., surrounded by arcades
containing ancient tombstones, inscriptions, and half-obliterated
frescoes. The gates of this church are said to be those which
St. Ambrose closed against the Emp. Theodosius after the cruel
massacre of Thessalonica; a portrait of the saint is on the 1. side
of the principal entrance. The Lombard kings and German em¬
perors formerly caused themselves to be crowned here with the
iron crown, which since the time of Frederick Barbarossa has
been preserved at Monza (p. 121).
The interior is at present undergoing restoration. The 2nd chapel
on the r. is decorated with frescoes by Gaudenzio Ferrari, representing the
Bearing of the Cross, the Mourning of the Virgin, and the Descent from
the Cross The 4th chapel on the r., the Cappella delle Dame, contains a
kneeling "statue of St. Marcellina, by Pacetti. In the 7th chapel a Madonna
with St. John and Jerome, by Luini. Beneath the pulpit is an early Chris¬
tian sarcophagus of the 6th cent., said to be that of Stilicho. The canopy
over the high altar is borne by four columns of porphyry ; in front of it is
the tombstone of Emp. Lewis II. (d. 875). The choir contains an ancient
episcopal throne. The high altar is furnished with a cover (paliotto) in
enamel of the 9th cent., a master piece of its time, executed by Wolsinius
(5 fr. are exacted for showing it). By the high altar is an "Ecce Homo,
painted al fresco by Luini, and preserved under glass. In the Tribuna
"mosaics of the 9th cent., earlier than those at St. Mark's in Venice: Christ
in the centre, at the sides the history of Ambrose. — At the entrance to
the crypt Christ among the scribes, a fresco by Borgognone. The crypt con¬
tains the tombs of SS. Ambrose, Protasius, and Gervasius.
S. Alessandro (PI. 6), the most sumptuously decorated church
in Milan, was erected in 1602. The high altar is richly adorned
with precious stones, but destitute of works of art.
S. Carlo Borromeo (PI. 12), in the Corso Vittorio Emanuele,
is a rotunda in the style of the Pantheon at Rome, 150ft. in
height, consecrated 1747. It contains two groups in marble by
Marchesi, and modern stained glass by Jose Bertini (the finest r.
of the entrance: S. Carlo Borromeo among those sick of the
The church of *S. Lorenzo (PI. 18) is the most ancient struc¬
ture in Milan; the interior is supposed to have appertained to the
Thermae, or to a temple erected by the Emp. Maximian. Al¬
though frequently altered at subsequent periods, it is still an
object of great interest to architects. It is an octagon surmounted