Ill 1805 Napoleon caused the works to be recommenced, and at
the present day additions and repairs are constantly in progress.
After the cathedral of Seville, it is the largest existing exam¬
ple of (Italian) Gothic architecture. It consists of nave with
double aisles, and transept with aisles. It is supported by 52
pillars, each 15 ft. in diameter, the summits of which are ador¬
ned with canopied niches with statues instead of capitals. The
pavement consists entirely of mosaic in marble of different colours.
The vaulting is skilfully painted in imitation of open-work in
By the principal inner portal are two huge monolith columns of
granite from the quarries of Baveno (see p. 139). The band of brass in
the pavement close to the entrance indicates the line of the meridian.
By the W. wall ofthe S. (r.) transept is the "Monument which Pope
Pius IV., uncle of S. Carlo Borromeo, caused to be executed by Leone
Leoni in 1564, to the memory of his brothers Giacomo and Gabriele Medici.
The colossal statue in the middle represents the first of these brothers.
(Tickets for the roof are obtained here.) The staircase leading to the
dome is on the S. side of the S. transept. The altar of the Offering of
Mary (E. wall of S. transept) is adorned with fine Reliefs by Ag. Buzzi;
adjacent is the Statue of St. Bartholomew by Marco Agrate , anatomically
remarkable, as the saint is represented flayed.
The door of the S. Sacristy (r. in the choir) is remarkable for its
richly sculptured decorations in the Gothic style (the treasury here may be
inspected, fee 1 fr.; among other valuables it contains silver statues, life-
size , of S. Ambrogio and S. Carlo Borromeo, and the ring and staff of the
latter). A short distance farther is the marble Monument of Cardinal Marino
Carraccioli (d. 1538), by whom Emp. Charles V. was crowned at Aix-la-
Chapelle in 1520. The stained glass in the three vast choir windows, com¬
prising 350 representations of scriptural subjects, were executed by Alois
and Giov. Berlini of Guastalla during the present century ; most of them are
copies from old pictures. Before the N. Sacristy is reached the visitor
passes (he Statue of Pius IV. in a silting posture, by Angelo Siciliano. The
door of this sacristy is also adorned with fine sculptures in marble.
By the E. wall of the N. transept is an altar with the Crucifixion
in high relief, by Ant. Prestinari. In the centre of the N. transept, in front
of the altar, is a valuable Bronze Candelabrum, decorated wilh jewels, pre¬
sented by Giov. Batt. Trivulzio in 1562.
At the corner of the N. transept and aisle is an Altar-piece, painted
in 1500 by Fed. Baroccio, representing S. Ambrogio releasing Emp. Theo-
dosius from ecclesiastical penalties. Upon the adjoining altar of St. Joseph
the Nuptials of Mary, by /'. Zuccheri. The following chapel contains the
old wooden Crucifix which S. Carlo Borromeo, barefooted, bore in 1576
when engaged in his missions of mercy during the plague. Beneath the 5th
(from the entrance) window of the N. aisle is a Monument, with relief of
the Virgin in the centre, by Marches!; r. and 1. the two SS. John by Monti.
Not far from the N. side door is the Font, consisting of a sarcophagus of
porphyry beneath a canopy. It was originally the sarcophagus of S. Dio-
nysius, but was appropriated to its present use by S. Carlo Borromeo.
The canopy is by Pellegrini.
In front of the choir, beneath the dome, is the subterranean Cappella
S. Carlo Borromeo, sumptuously decorated with gold and precious stones
(accessible in summer 5—10, in winter 7—10 a. in.; at other times 1 fr.;
for showing the relics of the saint 5 fr.).
No one should omit to undertake the ascei t of the *Roof
and Tower of the Cathedral. The staircase ascends from the
corner of the r. transept; ticket 20 c.; map of town and environs
l'/i fr., which will prove more useful than the unices of acorn-