18. From Turin to Milan by Novara.
Railway in 33|4-5i|2 hrs.; fares 16 fr. 95, 11 fr. 95, 8 fr. 55 c. —
The seats on the 1 e ft afford occasional glimpses of the Alps. — Fiacres and
omnibuses see pp. 72, 112.
The Dora Riparia is crossed, then, beyond the stat. of Suc-
cursale di Torino and Settimo, the Stura, farther on the Malon
and Oreo, all of them tributaries of the Po, the 1. bank of which
is skirted by the line. Stat. Brandizzo.
Chivasso (Moro) lies near the influx of the Oreo into the
Po. Branch-line hence to Ivrea, see p. 80. Beyond stat.
Torrazza di Verolan the Dora Baltea (p. 80), a torrent descend¬
ing from Mont Blanc, is crossed. Several unimportant stations,
beyond which the line turns to the N.E. .
Stat. Santhia possesses a church, restored in 1862 with great
taste, and containing a picture by Gaud. Ferrari in 10 sections.
Branch Line N. to Biella in 1 hr., by Salu:zola and Candelo.
Biella (Albergo della Testa Grigia; Italia), an industrial town and seat of
a bishop, possesses streets with arcades and a fine cathedral in a spacious"
Piazza, where the episcopal palace and seminary are also situated. The pa¬
laces of the old town, rising picturesquely on the hill, are now tenanted by
the humbler classes. Celebrated pilgrimage-church of the Madonna d'Oropa,
8 M. farther up the valley (omnibus thither). On the way to it two admi¬
rably -situated hydropathic establishments are passed.
The line skirts the ancient high road. Stat. <S. Germano;
then Vercelli (Tre Re; Leone d'Oro; Posta), an episcopal residence
with 19,352 inhab. The church of S. Cristoforo contains pictures
by G. Ferrari and B. Luini. S. Caterina also contains a work
of Ferrari. The library of the cathedral contains a number of
rare and ancient MSS.
Branch Line S. to Valenza (p. 145) in l'|4—i«/2 hr., fares 4 fr. 65,
3 fr. 25, 2 fr. 35 c. Stat. Asigliano, Perlengo, Balzola; near Casale the Po is
crossed; next stat. Borgo S. Martino, Giarole, Valenza.
The train crosses the Sesia (p. 144), which descends from
Monte Rosa. To the 1. rise the Alps, among which the magni¬
ficent Monte Rosa group is especially conspicuous. Stations Borgo
Vercelli, Ponzana, and
Novara (*Rail. Restaurant; Tre Re), a fortress and episcopal
residence (14,395 inhab.), commanded by the stately tower of
the church of S. Gaudenzio, which was erected by Pellegrini about
1560 and contains several good pictures by Gaudenzio Ferrari.
The tower, ascended by 300 steps , commands a very extensive
prospect, especially picturesque towards the Alps. The Cathedral,
a Romanesque structure with nave and double aisles, connected
with the Baptistery by an atrium or entrance-court, is a pictu¬
resque pile. The market-place is surrounded by colonnades. The
whole town, with its Italian architecture and numerous shops, is at¬
tractive and interesting. In the Corso Cavour, at the entrance
to the town from the station, stands a Monument of Cavour by
Dini, erected in 1863; near tbe Porta Mortara another to Charles