104 Route 16. CIMIES. Environs
handsome hotels and villas (at the beginning of the promenades
is the Casino, mentioned p. 102). On the 1. bank of the Paillon,
which is crossed here by the Pont Napoleon, they are continued
by the Boulevard du Midi (p. 103).
To the E. of the town rises the Castle Hill, 300 ft. in height
(ascent from the E. side, 20 min.), crowned by the ruins of a
castle destroyed by the Duke of Berwick under Louis XIV. in
1706, now converted into beautiful grounds, where palms, oran¬
ges, cypresses, and aloes flourish luxuriantly. The platform on
the summit, erected in honour of the emperor, commands an
admirable view in every direction: S. the Mediterranean; W. the
French coast, the promontory of Antibes, the two lies de Lerins,
the mouth of the Var (which till 1860 formed the boundary be¬
tween France and Sardinia), beneath the spectator Nice itself;
N. the valley of the Paglione, the monasteries of Cimella, or
Cimies, and St. Pons, in the distance the castle of St. Andre",
Mont Chauve, the Aspremont, and the Alps; E. the harbour, the
mountains and Fort Montalban, and the promontory of Montboron
which separates the roadsteads of Villafranca (p. 105) and Nice.
The S. slope of the castle-hill, which descends precipitously
towards the sea, is termed the Rauba-Capeu ('hat-robber', owing
to the prevalence of sudden gusts). — The Cemeteries, with the
exception of the English, are on the N. side of the castle-hill.
At the base of the castle-hill on the E. lies the small Har¬
bour, termed Limpia from an excellent spring (limpida) which
rises near the E. pier. It is accessible to small vessels only;
those of large tonnage cast anchor in the bay of Villafranca
(p. 106). The Place Bellevue adjoining the harbour is embellished
with a Statue of King Charles Felix in marble, erected in 1830.
On the farther side of the harbour is the Boulevard de I'lmpera-
trice .(Restaur, de la Reserve, p. 101).
The Environs of Nice afford a variety of beautiful excur¬
sions, and abound in attractive villas and luxuriant vegetation
(olives, oranges, figs, etc.).
The Franciscan monastery of Cimies, Ital. Cimella, is situated
3 M. to the N. of Nice. The best, although not the shortest
route to it is by the new road ascending to the E. from the
Boulevard Carabacel (PI. E, 2), which on the top of the hill
intersects the site of a Rom. Amphitheatre (210 ft. long, 175 ft.
wide). About 1/4 M- t0 tne r- from the cross-road immediately
beyond the amphitheatre the traveller reaches the monastery (two
pictures by Bre'a in the chapel), re-erected in 1543 after its
destruction by the Turks. It stands on the site of the Rom.
town Cemenelium, to which the above-mentioned amphitheatre
and a quadrangular structure, commonly termed a 'Temple of
Apollo', appertained. Traces of baths etc. have also been