96 Route 15. ONEGLIA. From Genoa
the ruins of a castle. Beyond the town the road gradually ascends
(♦retrospect) the promontory of Noli, the extremity of which is
penetrated by a tunnel (Galleria di Noli). A second castle-
crowned promontory rises on the 1. , while the road leads in¬
land over a height. Farther on is the village of Varigotti on
the slope to the r., almost entirely concealed by olives. Then a
143/4 M. (from Savona) Finale (Grand Hotel de Venise) is a
small seaport possessing a fort, and a cathedral with double
columns of white marble, dome, and rich gilding. The road
becomes wilder, and passes through a third tunnel. Borgio, with
its two towers, remains on the r. Then Pietra, with 1160 inhab.
On the r. of the road near Loano are two suppressed monasteries.
Monte Carmelo, the higher of the two, was erected by the Doria
family in 1609.
Loano (* Albergo d'Europa) possesses a twelve-sided church
with a dome, also erected by the Doria's. Beyond the village
of Ceriale the mountains recede from the coast, and the road
leads inland across vine and olive-clad fields and orchards to
Albenga, an ancient town, the Roman Albigaunum. Considerable
remnants of a Roman bridge are seen by the road side, l/t M.
before the town is reached. Several lofty towers here belong to
ancient residences of noble families. The cathedral possesses
an elegant tower and facade. All the buildings are constructed
of brick. The road again approaches the sea, opposite to the
rocky Isola Gallinara (surmounted by a tower), ascends for some
distance, and then descends to
Alassio (Hotel de la Belle Italie), a small seaport with 4000
inhab., which carriages do not usually enter. Then Lagueglia;
charming retrospective view, beyond which the road ascends to a
considerable height, and passes the frowning and barren Capo
della Croce, with a lighthouse, and the Capo delle Mele.
Cervo and Diano Marino, picturesquely situated on the slopes,
are next reached. Diano Castello lies farther inland. Extensive
olive-plantations are here traversed. Magnificent retrospect as
the road ascends the next promontory. Then a descent to
38 M. Oneglia (*Hotel Victoria, charges according to agree¬
ment) , a small seaport with 6440 inhab., most beautifully si¬
tuated. Beyond it the broad, stony channel of a mountain-
torrent is crossed by a suspension-bridge. Porto Maurizio (Hotel
de France), through which the road next leads, is a naval station
and harbour of some importance, very picturesquely situated on
an eminence on the coast, surrounded by dense groves of olives.
Invalids sometimes spend the winter here.
The low and massive towers which rise on the r. and 1. of
the road near the shore, beyond the next village of S. Lorenzo,
and have been parlially converted into dwelling-houses, were