90 Route 14. GENOA. S. Lorenzo.
Genoa possesses 82 Churches, of which a few only need
*S. Lorenzo (PI. 9), the cathedral, erected in 1100 on the
site of an older structure, was frequently altered in the 15th
and 16th cent., so that it now exhibits three distinct styles of
architecture (Romanesque, Lombard-Gothic, Renaissance). The
facade, constructed of alternate layers of black and white marble,
is embellished by recumbent lions, of which the lower, on the r.
and 1. of the flight of steps, are modern. Over the principal
portal are old reliefs of Christ and the emblems of the four
Evangelists; beneath them the martyrdom of St. Lawrence.
The Interior, with its circular vaulting and octagonal dome, is sup¬
ported by 16 Corinthian columns and 4 pillars, above which there is a se¬
cond series of columns. The 2nd Chapel on the 1. (di S. Giovanni Battista)
contains six marble statues by Matteo Civitali, and a John the Baptist and
Madonna and Child by Sansovino. In the vaulting of the choir, the martyr¬
dom of St. Lawrence by Tavarino, executed at the beginning of the 17th
cent.; choir-stalls in 'tarsia' (inlaid work) by Fr. Zabello. In the Sacristy
is preserved the vessel (Vaso Catine) from which Christ and his disciples
are said to have partaken of the paschal lamb, captured at Cesarea by the
Genoese during the Crusades.
A short distance hence, adjoining the Piazza di Scaricamento,
is the Exchange (Borsa, PI. 7), erected in the 16th cent., with
a statue of Cavour by Vine. Vela.
In the Piazza Nuova, somewhat higher, is situated S. Ambrogio
(PI. 12), a Jesuit church with dome, sumptuously decorated with
marble, mosaics, gilding, and ceiling-paintings. The high altar-
piece (Circumcision) is by Rubens; the chapel of the Virgin
(3rd on the r.) contains an Assumption by Guido Reni.
Adjoining the latter is the handsome Palazzo Ducale (PI. 22),
now the Town Hall, constructed entirely of white marble. In
the niches above are placed allegorical warlike figures, and eight
statues of the Doges, who formerly resided here. The palace has
been entirely modernized since a conflagration in 1777. The
Telegraph Office is now in this edifice.
Farther N. in the street, to the 1. of the Piazza Carlo Felice,
is situated S. Matteo (PI. 14), a small church erected by the
Dorias in 1278, containing numerous mementoes of that illustrious
house. The facade is completely covered with inscriptions de¬
dicated to members of the family, and great numbers of their
epitaphs, and a few mutilated statues, are preserved by being
built into the walls of the interesting cloisters. The palace in
the corner opposite, the lower story covered with black and yellow
marble, bears the inscription: 'Senat. Cons. Andreae de Oria,
patriae liberatori munus publicum'; i. e. the edifice was a gift to
Andrea Doria from the senate.
In the spacious Piazza Carlo Felice the extensive Teatro
Carlo Felice (PI. 36), erected in 1827, is situated. Adjacent
to it is the Accademia delle Belle Arti (PI. 1), containing a small