14. Route. 89
for the harmonious symmetry of the interior. The great attraction
is the *view from the highest gallery of the dome (ascended
by commodious and well lighted staircases, 249 steps in all),
extending over the city, harbour and fortifications, and W. and E.
over the well populated coasts (W. the Riviera di Ponente, R. 15;
E. the Riviera di Lerante, R. 49), bounded on the E. by the
picturesque promontory of S. Martino d'Albaro, and stretching to
the S. over the vast blue expanse of the Mediterranean. In
clear weather even the island of Corsica is said to be visible in
the extreme distance (sacristan 25 c, his attendance for the ascent
is unnecessary). The Ponte Carignano, a bridge 90 ft. in height,
by means of which the street crosses a lower quarter of the city,
was formerly regarded as a marvel of architectural skill.
The *Harbour (Porto) forms a semicircular bay, about 2'/2 M-
in diameter, into which two substantial Piers of considerable
length project. That on the E. is the Molo Vecchio, with the
small, old lighthouse; on the W. the Molo Nttovo, adjoining
which is the new lighthouse, or Lanterna, the dazzling reflectors of
which are 520 ft. above the sea-level. The summit commands
a fine view; the arrangements of the interior may also be in¬
spected (fee '/-2 fr-)- 0" the N. E. side is the Royal War Har¬
bour (Darsena Reale) with the Arsenal (Arsenate di Marina),
accessible by special permission only. It was here that (Han
Luigi de' Fieschi was accidentally drowned in 1547, when he
with the other conspirators against Andrea Doria had taken pos¬
session of the harbour. The Dogana is established in the build¬
ing of the Banco di S. Giorgio, an institution founded in 1346.
but suppressed during the French Revolution. The large hall
contains two series of Statues of Genoese celebrities, some of
them of the 15th cent.
On the E. side is the Free Harbour (Porto Franco), where
numerous vessels lie at anchor. The quay is connected by rails
with the railway station. A lofty wall with arcades separates
the harbour from the houses (most of them six stories in height)
of the long Via Carlo Alberto and the Piazza di Scaricamento,
in which almost all the hotels are situated. These arcades are
the favourite haunt of ihe red-capped denizens of the harbour,
the sailors and boatmen, the porters, valets-de-place, etc. The
best point for surveying the scene which here presents itself is
the Gran Terrazzo Marmoreo (ascended at the N. extremity),
the marble platform of these arcades, ^3 M. in length and 20
paces in width. This terrace affords a most agreeable *walk in
the early morning, but later in the day it is exposed to the sun.
The stranger, as he approaches the arcades, is immediately assailed
by the boatmen wi.h offers of their services (p. 87). The finest
view of the city from the harbour is about 3/4 M. from the
coast. — A cannon fired in summer at 9 p. m. is a signal for
all the sailors to repair to their vessels.