80 Route 10. TURIN.
.and not paved. The terrace in front of the church (morning
best time for a visit) commands a fine * survey of the river, city,
plain, and the chain of the Alps in the background, from which
(r.) the snowy summit of Monte Rosa rises prominently, then
the Aiguille de Sassiere and Mont Iseran; farther "W. is the
valley in which Susa' (p. 33) is situated, S. Michele della Chiusa
(p. 33), rising conspicuously on a lofty peak, above it Mont
Cenis,- farther S.W. Monte Viso. This hill of the Capuchins
has always been a point of great importance in the military his¬
tory of Turin and was fortified until 1802. A Hospital was
added to the monastery buildings by King Charles Albert in 1840..
The * Cemetery (Cimiterio, or Campo Santo'; open 10—5),
172 M- N.E. of Turin (fiacre 1 fr.), on the road to Chivasso (see
p. 110), is superior in extent and arrangement to most of the
Italian burial-grounds, but contains few monuments worthy of
note. The wall enclosing it is skirted by a continuous arcade,
divided by a long arcade in the centre. . A separate space on the
N. side is reserved for the interment of non-Romanists.-
The "Superga (2555 ft.), the royal burial-church, a handsome structure
with a colonnade in front and surmounted by a dome, conspicuously situ¬
ated on a hill E. of Turin, is well worthy of a visit (2 hrs. walk) and. com¬
mands a splendid view. Prince Eugene is said to have reconnoitred the
hostile camp from this height before the commencement of the battle of
Turin (1706), and, observing symptoms of Irresolution in their movements,
to have observed to the Duke of Savoy:.'// me semble, que ces gens la sont.
a demi baltus'. The latter on this occasion vowed to erect a church here
in honour of the Virgin, in case of the successful issue of the battle. The
structure was commenced in 1717 and completed in 1731. The kings of the
House of Savoy are interred here, the last of whom was Ch. Albert in 1849.
The adjacent edifice is an Ecclesiastical Seminary. A thanksgiving fes¬
tival is celebrated here annually on Sept. 8th, to commemorate the libera¬
tion of Turin from the French yoke. The pleasantest route to the Superga
is to descend by boat (barchetta) on the Po (also an omnibus every '(2 hr.)
to the Madonna del Pilone; where donkeys (somarelli, li|s fr.) may be engaged
for the ascent of the hill.
Pleasant Excursion from Turin to the Valleys of the Waldenses
(Valines Vaudoises), extending along the French frontier, about 30 M. to the
S.W. The well-known and interesting Prot. communities (about- 25,000
souls) who have occupied these valleys for 600 years, have steadily adhered
to the faith for which they were formerly so cruelly persecuted. Their
language is French. Railway from Turin to Pignerol (Ital. Pinerold) in
l'|2 hr.; fares 3 fr. 55, '2 fr. 55, 1 fr. 70 c: ; omnibus thence in 1 hr. to
La Tour, Ital. Torre Luserna (L'Ours; Lion d'Or),, the chief of these com¬
munities, which possesses excellent educational establishments. — From
Pignerol a road ascends the valley of the Ancone by Perosa and Fenestrelle,
a strongly fortified place, to the French fortress of Briancon in the lofty
valley of the Durance. At Cesanne this road unites with that from Susa (p. 33).
11. From Turin to Aosta.
Railway to Ivrea in 2 hrs. (3 trains daily); fares 6 fr. 85, 5 fr. 80,
3 fr. 45 c. — Diligence thence to Aosta in 9 hrs.
From Turin to Chivasso see p. 110. Between the depressions
of the lower mountains the snowy summits of Mont Blanc are
visible in the background; to the r. of them the pointed peak