78 Route 10.
the Exchange (Via Alfieri 9) was inaugurated in 1862. — In front
of the old Citadel in the Via della Cernaja is a monument in
bronze, erected by King Charles Albert in 1834, in memory of
Pietro Micca, the brave 'soldato minatore', who at the sacrifice of
his own life saved the citadel of Turin, Aug. 30th, 1706, by
springing a mine when the French grenadiers had already pene¬
trated to the very gates. ■— Opposite rises the statue of Count Alex.
Lamarmora (d. 1855 in the Crimea). — Between the Piazza Carlo
Felice and Via Lagrange is the statue of the mathematician Count
Lagrange (d. 1813 at Paris). — Monument of Manin see p. 79.
Most of the churches of Turin are uninteresting. The Cathedral
(PI. 3), erected in the Renaissance style in 1498, possesses a
handsome marble facade. Over the W. Portal in the interior is
a copy of the Last Supper of Leonardo da Vinci (p. 117); over
the second altar on the r. are 18 small pictures, blackened with
age, erroneously attributed to Alb. Uiirer. The ceiling-paintings
and high altar-piece are of no great artistic merit. The seats
of the royal family are on the 1. of the high altar. Behind the
high altar is situated the * Cappella del SS. Sudario (open
during the morning mass till 9 o'cl.), erected in the 17th cent.
by the Theatine monk Guarini, a lofty circular chapel of dark
brown, almost black marble, with which the monuments strikingly
contrast, separated from the choir by a glazed partition and con¬
nected with the cathedral by a lofty staircase. This is the burial-
chapel of the Dukes of Savoy, adorned with statues in white
marble erected by King Charles Albert in 1842 to the most illus¬
trious members of his family. They are adorned with symbolical
figures and furnished with inscriptions: (r.) Emanuel Philibert
(d. 1580), 'restitutor imperii', by Marchesi; Prince Thomas (a.
1656), by Gaggini; Charles Emanuel II. (d. 1675), by Fracea-
roli; Amadeus VIII. (A. 1451), by Cacciatori. The chapel also
contains the marble monument of the late Queen of Sardinia (d.
1855), by Revelli: 'Conjugi dulcissimae Mariae Adelaidi posuit
Victorius Emanuel 1856'. The chapel is lighted by a cupola above
in a peculiar manner, by which the effect is enhanced. In a spe¬
cies of urn over the altar is preserved the SS. Sudario, the linen
cloth in which the body of the Saviour is said to have been en¬
veloped. The door in the centre leads to the upper corridors of
the royal palace, which serve as a public throughfare.
Corpus Domini (PI. 5), near the Piazza del Palazzo di Citta
(p. 77), was erected in 1647. In 1753 the church was restored
by Count Alfieri, then 'decurione' of the city, and lavishly de¬
corated with marble, gilding, and paintings. Rousseau, when an
exile from Geneva at the age of 16, was here admitted within
the pale of the Rom. Catholic Church, in 1728, but in 1754
again professed himself a convert to Calvinism at Geneva.
S. Massimo, Via S. Lazzaro, by the Giardino Pnbblico, is in