Arsenal. TURIN. 10.. Route. 77
392. Velasquez, Philip IV. of Spain; 393. Rubens, Holy Family. .— 14th
Room. 410. Floris, Adoration of the Magi; 428. Teniers the Y., Card:Players;
430. Rembrandt, Portrait; 450. Rembrandt il), a Rabbi; 458". Schalken, Old
woman. — 15th Room: 478, 483. Claude Lorrain, Landscapes.
The Accademia Albertina delle Belle Arti (PI. 9), Via dell'
Accademia 10, contains a small collection of pictures; among
them a Madonna ascribed to Raphael, a cartoon by Leon, da
Vinci, and 24 cartoons by Gaudenzio Ferrari.
The Museo Lapidario in the court of the University (PI. 38)
contains Roman inscriptions, antiquities, etc. Statues of Prof.
Riberi (d. 1851) and Dr. Luigi Gallo (&. 1867) have been
erected here. The corridor of the first floor is adorned with busts
of celebrated professors.
The extensive Arsenal (PI. 12) is not accessible without special
permission from the office of the minister of the exterior. It com¬
prises gun-foundries, laboratories, artillery-workshops, an armoury,
library, and collection of maps.
The Monuments of Turin are very numerous (pp. 74, 75).
In the spacious Piazza S. Carlo rises the ^Equestrian Statue of
Emanuel Philibert (PI. 19), Duke of Savoy (d. 1580), surnamed
'TUe de Fer'. The statue is. in.bronze, designed by Marochetti
and placed on a pedestal of granite. On the W. side is represented
the Battle of St. Quentin, gained by the duke under Philip II.
of Spain against the French; E. the Peace of Cateau Cambresis
(1558), by which the duchy was restored to the House of Savoy.
The duke as 'pacem redditurus' is in the act of sheathing his
sword. — The Piazza del Palazzo di Citta is adorned with a mo¬
nument (PI. 16) of Amadeus VI. (d. 1383), Count of Savoy,
surnamed the 'conte verde', the conqueror of the Turks and re¬
storer of the imperial throne of Greece. This bronze group, designed
by Palagi, was erected in 1853 as a 'monumento di gloria nazionale
e domesticd, in commemoration of the marriage of the present
ling in 1843. The marble statues in front of the portico of the
Town Hall, r. Prince Eugene (d. 1736), 1. Prince Ferdinand
(d. 1855), Duke of Genoa and brother of the king, were erected
in 1858; that of King Charles Albert (d. 1849) in the hall, was
erected in 1859; that of the present king in 1860. Opposite to
these statues are several Memorial Tablets. — In the Piazza
Savoia rises the 'Monumento Siccardi' (PI. 23), an obelisk 74 ft.
in height, erected in 1854 to commemorate the abolition of
ecclesiastical jurisdiction and the establishment of the constitution.
It derives its appellation from the minister of justice Siccardi, at
whose instance it was erected with the consent of the king and
the Chambers. The names of all the towns and provinces which
voted for the suppression of the spiritual courts are inscribed on
the column. — Count Camillo Cavour (d. 1861) was born (1810)
in the house at the corner of the Via Cavour and the Via Lagrange,
where a memorial tablet records the fact. A statue of Cavour in