74 Route 10. TURIN. Palazzo Reale.
skirted on both sides by arcades (portici). The best shops are in
the Piazza Castello; those in the direction of the Po, towards
the Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, are inferior.
The Palazzo Madama (PI. 29), the ancient castle, a lofty
and cumbrous pile in the centre of the Piazza Castello, is the
sole mediaeval structure of which Turin boasts. It owes its pre¬
sent appellation to the mother of King Victor Amadeus II., who
as Dowager Duchess ('Madama Reale') occupied the building, and
embellished it in 1718 by the addition of a magnificent double
flight of steps and the facade with marble columns on the W.
side. The original towers on the E. side are still standing.
Until 1865 the Palazzo Madama was the seat of the Italian senate
and contained the Royal Picture Gallery, recently transferred to
the Palazzo dell' Accademia delle Scienze (p. 75). — In front
of the Palace stands a Monument to the Sardinian Army, erected
by the Milanese in 1859. It was executed by Vine. Vela, and
represents a warrior in white marble defending a banner with
his sword; the relief represents Victor Emmanuel on horseback
at the head of his troops.
On the N. side of the Piazza Castello is situated the Palazzo
Reale, or Royal Palace (PI. 31), erected about the middle of
the 17th cent., a plain structure of brick, sumptuously fitted up
in the interior. The palace-yard is separated from the Piazza
by a gate, the pillars of which are decorated with two groups
in bronze of Castor and Pollux, designed by Abbondio Sangiorgio
in 1842. To the 1. in the hall of the palace, to which the
public are admitted, in a niche near the staircase, is the 'Cavallo
di marmo', an equestrian statue of Duke Victor Amadeus I.
(d. 1675); the statue is of bronze, the horse in marble; beneath
the latter are two slaves. The royal apartments are generally
accessible in the absence of the king. The private library con¬
tains a very copious collection of historical and genealogical works,
and a valuable cabinet of drawings. Visiiors apply to the custo¬
dian in the palace itself. The Palace Garden (Giardino Reale),
entered from the arcade , N. E. of the Palazzo Madama, is open
Sund. and Thursd. 1072—4 o'clock (a military band frequently
plays here; comp. p. 72). Adjacent to the Giardino Reale is the
Zoological Garden, containing a fine collection of foreign animals
(cards of admission are issued by the administration of forests at
the palace). — Commissionaiies may be dispensed with for the
palace and armoury.
The long S. E. wing of the edifice contains the *Armoury
(Armeria Reale, PI. 11), entered from the arcade, opposite of the
Palazzo Madama to the N.E. It is open to the public on Sundays,
12—3 o'clock, and daily at the same hours by tickets (obtained
between 11 and 12 o'clock at the office of the secretary of the
library, under the Armoury). The collection is very choice and
in admirable order (custodian 1 fr.).