10. Route. 73
Baths, Via del Po 51 (1 fr. 25 c.\ and Via della Consulate. Swimming
Bath (scuola di nuoto) above the old bridge over the Po (p. 79), 60 c.
Commissionaires, or ciceroni, loiter in great numbers about the Piazza
Castello and Carigna'no and often annoy strangers by their importunity
(5 fr. per day).
Theatres. Teatro Regio (P. 36), in the Piazza Castello,'with seats
for 2500, generally open during the Carnival only; Carignano (PL 35),
in the Piazza of that name, open during the greater part of the year;
D'Angennes (PI. 34), comedies in the Piedmontese dialect; Nazionale,
for operas, Via Borgo Nuovo; Rossini, Via di IV) 24; Scribe, Via
Zecca 29, French; Gerbino. corner of Via Ripari and Via del Soccorso,
Italian comedies; Vittorio Emanuele,- Via lppodromo 11, a circus; .
Balbo, Via Andrea Dorja near the Giardino pubblico; Alfieri, Piazza
Solferino, day-theatre etc.
Consuls. British, Via di S. Filippo 20. American, Via de' Fiori 19.
English Church Service performed in a chapel at the back of the Tem-
pio Valdese (PL 8).
Principal Attractions: Armoury (p. .74), Picture Gallery (p. 76)
and Museum of Antiquities, monuments in the cathedral (p. 78), Campo
Santo (p. 80), view from the Capuchin monastery (p. 79).
Turin (820 ft.), the Roman Augusta Taurinorum, founded
by the Taurini, a Ligurian tribe, destroyed by Hannibal B; C.
218 and subsequently re-erected, was the capital of the County
of Piedmont in-the middle ages, and in 1418 became subject to
the Dukes of Savoy, who frequently resided here. From 1859
to 1865 it was the capital of Italy and residence of the king.
Population (in 1813 only 66,000) 180,520 (1500 Protest., 2000
Jews). The University has a staff of 65 professors and is attended
by 2000 students. Turin is situated on the Po, which rises on
Monte Viso, about 45 M. to the S.W., and is augmented by the
waters of the Dora Riparia (p. 33) below the city. The exten¬
sive plain of the Po is bounded on the W. by the Graian and
Cottian Alps, and on the E. by a range of hills rising on the r.
bank, opposite the city (Mt. of the Capuchins and .Supeiga,
p. 80). The town has lost much of its importance by the re¬
moval of the court. The French language is more universally
employed here than in any other Italian town.
On Sept. 7th, 1706, a celebrated battle was fought under the walls of
Turin between the Imperial army of Germany with its allies under Prince
Eugene and 'the French, in which the latter were signally defeated (cump.
p. 80). 'in consequence of this victory the House of Savoy regained posses¬
sion of the duchy, and by the Peace of Utrecht (1713) obtained the royal
dignity which it still possesses.
The architecture of the city, its spacious squares, and regular
streets (formerly termed contrada, now generally via) indicate its
comparatively modern origin, most of the older buildings having
been destroyed during the siege of 1706. The fortifications were
demolished by the French in 1801, when they were in possession
of the city and environs. The citadel', another old structure,
was levelled in 1857 to make way for the railway.
The most animated streets are the Via Nuova, Via di Dora
Grossa and especially the broad and handsome *Via di Po,
leading from the Piazza Castello to the bridge over the Po, and