304 Route 36. MALTA.
nean, 60—70 ft. deep and sheltered from the wind , exhibits a
busy scene, in which various Oriental elements are recognisable.
The streets ascend precipitously from the quay, frequently by
means of long flights of steps, and are far superior in cleanliness
to those of other towns on the Mediterranean. The Str. Reale,
extending from St. Elmo to the Porta Reale, a distance of 3/4 M.,
is the principal street.
The cathedral of S. Giovanni, dating from 1576, is richly de¬
corated and contains the monuments of Grand Masters and knights
of the Maltese Order, grouped in accordance with their various
nationalities. 1st Chapel on the r. (del Crocifisso), Beheading of
St. John, altar-piece by Mich. Angelo Caravaggio. 2nd Chap, r.,
Portuguese monuments, those of Manoel Pinto and the Grand
Master Alanoel de Vilhena, the latter entirely of bronze. 3rd
Chap., Spanish; monuments of four Grand Masters, the largest
those of Roccafeuil and N. Coloner. 4th Chap., Provencals. 5th
Chap., della A'ergine, richly decorated with silver; the keys of
the town, taken from the Turks, are here preserved as trophies.
— To the 1. of the principal entrance the bronze monument of
the Grand Master Marc Antonio Zondadario. 1st Chap, (or Sa¬
cristy) contains a few portraits. 2nd Chap., Austrians. 3rd Chap.,
Italians; the pictures (St. Jerome and Mary Magdalene) attributed
to Caravaggio. 4th Chap., Frenchmen; monuments of two Grand
Masters and of Prince Louis Philippe of Orleans (d. 1808). 5th
Chap. , Bavarians. A stair descends hence to a vault containing
the sarcophagi of several Grand Masters, e. g. those of L'Isle
Adam, La Valette etc.
The Palace of the Governor contains a collection of pictures
(insignificant) and a number of interesting weapons and trophies of
the period of the knights. — The Houses of the different natio¬
nalities (Auberge de Provence, d'Auvergne, de France, d'Halie etc.,
the latter the finest) have all undergone considerable change. —
Adjacent to the palace is the handsome building of the Library,
comprising about 40.000 vols, and a few antiquities of the Phoe¬
nician and Roman periods found here. Pleasant Walks along the
Tamparts, which are adorned with numerous statues of Grand
Alasters and of English Governors. The best point of view is at
the Baracca Nuova. The Botanic Garden is also a favourite
place of resort. — On the E. side of the harbour is situated the
older part of the town, termed the Borgo or Citta Vittoriosa, in¬
habited by the humbler classes. Farther distant is the Burmula
or ("ttta Cospieua, with its new docks; finally the Senglea or
Isola. The entrance to the harbour is here commanded by the
fort of Rirusoli.
An aqueduct, commenced in 1610, the numerous arches of
which intersect the environs, supplies the town with water. The