to Reggio. PIZZO. 17. Route. ] Sf>
The exact site of the grave of Alaric is unknown , but accor¬
ding to the tradition current at Cosenza it is at the point where
the Busento falls into the Crati.
Road from Cosenza to Paola (p. 203), where the steamers
touch once weekly, not always considered safe.
To the E. of Cosenza rise the Sila Mts. (highest point 5500 ft.),
about 40 M. in length and IS in breadth, which yield an abun¬
dant supply of timber and afford excellent pastures : a favourite
retreat of the inhabitants of this district during the height of
At Cosenza the road begins to ascend, traversing well-culti¬
vated land, whilst the heights on either side are clothed with oaks
and chestnuts, and, 11 M. from Cosenza, reaches the small town of
Rogliano, situated on an eminence to the L, commanding a
charming prospect of the fertile district and the surrounding
mountains, above which to the r. the summit of Monte Cocuzzo
rises. The road then descends into the ravine of the Savuto,
Lat. Sabutus, which it crosses by a wooden bridge; it then as¬
cends Le Crocelle di Agrifolio, a precipitous ridge of the Apennines
and leads by (arpanzano , Coraci, Arena Bianca and through ra¬
vines and forest to the lofty town of Tiriolo, 33 M. from Ro¬
gliano , situated on the culminating point between the ' 'orace,
which falls into the bay of Squillace, and the Lamato , descend¬
ing to the bay of S. Eufemia, the ancient Sinus Terinaeus. Near
Tiriolo , a name probably derived from the Ager Taurianus, nu¬
merous antiquities, coins etc. have been found. Here too in 1460
a bronze tablet (now in the imperial collection at Vienna) was
discovered, bearing the decree of the senate against the Baccha¬
nalia of the year 15. C. 186, mentioned by Livy (39, [^).
Before Tiriolo is reached a road to the 1. crosses the river Corace and
leads to (6 31.) Catanzaro (p. 183).
To the r. a road leads to i7i|2 31.) Nicaslro, an episcopal town on the
slope of the mountain, in the now ruined castle of which Frederick II.
once confined his son Henry who had rebelled against him. The latter was
shortly afterwards drowned in the river Savuto. 3 31. from Nicastro,
towards the sea, lies S. Eufemia, with a celebrated Benedictine monastery
founded by Robert Guiscard, destroyed by the earthquake of 163S.
The road to Reggio traverses the chain of hills, then crosses
the Lamato, the r. bank of which it skirts for 4 M., commanding
nearly the whole way a view of the bays of Squillace and S. Eufe¬
mia, which are here not more than 13 M. apart.
Then by Casino Chiriaco across the plain of Maida, where
in 1806 the English auxiliaries of the Bourbons under Sir John
Stuart defeated the French under Regnier and drove them out of
Calabria. The road leads across the fertile but somewhat marshy
plain by Francavilla to 2'orre Masdea, 28 M. from Tiriolo. Farther
to the r. lies Pizzo, a small town on the coast (p. 204) where