of Naple*. CAPRI. .9. Route. [\\\
He remained here almost uninterruptedly till his death in 37,
even after the fall of Sejanus in 31. Revolting accounts are given
of the cruelty and profligacy of the emperor, even towards the
close of his career. The tranquillity and inaccessibility of the is¬
land, as well as the geniality of the climate, were the attractions
which induced him to spend so many years in it. Of the struc¬
tures of Tiberius but few traces are left.
During the wars of Napoleon I. Capri was captured by the
English under Sir Sidney Smith in 1803, fortified and conver¬
ted into a miniature Gibraltar. Sir Hudson Lowe was subse¬
quently the commandant. In October, 1808, however, the island
was recaptured by Murat by a brilliant coup-de-main.
On the E. promontory, Lo Capo or S. Maria del Soccorso, once
stood, it is believed, the Villa Jovis, in which Tiberius lay con¬
cealed for 9 months after the fall of Sejanus. Here are the ruins
of the * Villa di Tiberio, pronounced Timberio by the natives, and
the remains of a lighthouse. The path (1 hr. from the landing-
place) cannot be mistaken. About 100 paces from the summit is
a "Restaurant" to the r. , where by purchasing a draught of to¬
lerable wine admission is obtained to /( Salto, a rock rising abruptly
700 ft. above the sea, whence the tyrant is said to have precipi¬
tated his victims. From a projecting platform, protected by a
railing, the sea is seen immediately at the feet of the spectator.
To the r. is the Faro, whence a magnificent view of the barren
promontory of Sorrento opposite and the two bays; Psestum is
said to be also visible ('?).
After a slight ascent the * Villa di Tiberio is attained, the
ruins of which are now employed as a stable for cows. On the
path, to the 1. , is a species of corridor adorned with mosaic.
whence -teps ascend. On the highest point in the small chapel
of .s'. Maria del Soccorso with the cell of a hermit, who in return
for a trifling donation allows the visitor to inscribe his testimo¬
nium pra,sentia3. This point also commands a noble prospect of
the island and the blue sea.
In returning the traveller should select the path which diver¬
ges to the 1. after 10 min., and in 15 min. leads through the
small so-called Val di Mitromania to the Punta di Mitromania,
sometimes termed Matrimonio by the islanders. Here a magni¬
ficent natural opening in the rock, the Arco Nuturale, rises from
the sea; a fine view of the imposing and rugged cliffs is also
obtained. A visit to the Grotta di Mitromania beneath (guide
necessary) does not repay the trouble. — The ruins on the Tuoro
Grande are supposed to belong to the second villa of Tiberius.
The conspicuous and most picturesquely formed rocky points to¬
wards the S.E. are the Faraglioni. On the coast are numerous