SO Routt 4.
NAPLES. Chiesa del Sannazaro.
At the W. end of Fuorigrotta, by the small church of S. Vitale,
is the monument of the poet Count Giacomo Leopardi, who died
at Naples, June 18. 1837.
A continuation of the Chiaia is formed by the Mergellina,
a long row of houses and villas on the slopes of the Posilipo
facing the sea, intersected by the * Strada Nuova di Posilipo, which
was commenced in 1812, and in 1823 continued as far as Bagnoli.
As this road commands a succession of the most beautiful views,
the traveller should on no account omit to visit it, which, when
time is limited, he may accomplish in going to or returning
About 5 min. walk from the point where the Str. di Piedi¬
grotta diverges from the Chiaia to the r., the road forms a curve
in the direction of the sea. A short distance above this curve,
to the r. (from the exterior scarcely recognizable), stands the
Chiesa del Sannazaro or S. Maria del Parto, on the site of a
small estate which king Frederick II. of Arragon presented in
1496 to the poet Jacopo Sannazaro (b. at Naples, 1158), for
whom he entertained the highest regard. After his villa had been
destroyed by the French in 1529, the aged poet caused the
church to be erected by monks of the Servite order. It derives
its appellation from his Latin poem "De partu Virginis".
The church contains a high-altar and six chapels. In the 1st chap, to
the r., St. Michael overcoming Satan, by Leonardo da Pistoja. The devil is
represented with the features of a woman who was passionately enamoured
of Diomedes Carafa, once bishop of Ariano, and is therefore popularly
known as "il diavolo di Mergellina". Behind the high-altar is the monu¬
ment of the poet, executed by Era Giovanni da Montorsoli from a design by
Girolamo Santacroce. At the sides Apollo and Minerva, popularly believed
to be David and Judith; on a bas-relief between them Neptune and Pan,
with Fauns, satyrs and nymphs singing and playing, an allusion to Sanna-
zar's poem "Arcadia"; above is the richly decorated sarcophagus with the
bust of the poet which bears his academic name: Actius Sincerus. At the
base of the monument is the inscription by Bembo :]
Da sacro cineri flores : hie ille Maroni \
Sincerus Musa proximus ut tumulo.
It alludes to the poet's having imitated Virgil. His principal works are
idyls, elegies and epigrams in Latin.
To the r., farther on, rises Villa Angri, then to the 1. by the
sea the picturesque ruins of the Palazzo di Donn Anna (erro¬
neously believed to be that of the Regina Giovanna), commenced
in the 17th cent, by Fansaga for Donna Anna, wife of the viceroy
Duke of Medina, on the site of a former palace of the princes
of Stigliano, but never completed. It is now employed as a glass-
manufactory. The road, gradually ascending, winds between gar¬
dens and villas round the base of the hills; to the 1. the Laz-
■zaretto (quarantine), the Villa Rocca Romana with hot-houses and
a collection of animals. Rocca Matilda and Villa Minutola. At