64 Route 4. NAPLES. Museum.
The cloisters contain the tomb of Ludovico Aldemoresco, by
Bamboccio (1414). In the chapter-house are represented al fresco
all the saints of the Franciscan order. In 1343 Petrarch resided
in this monastery; and Boccaccio, when in the church of S. Lo¬
renzo, beheld the beautiful princess whose praises he celebrates
under the name of Fiammetta. She is believed to have been
Maria, natural daughter of king Robert.
In the direction of the Toledo, to the 1., is situated S. Pietro
a Maiella (PL 69), in the Gothic style, erected by Giovanni
Pipino di Barletta, favourite of Charles II. (d. 1316; his tomb
is in the 1. transept). In the adjacent monastery is established the
Conservatory of Music (PI. 6), founded in 1537. It has pro¬
duced a number of celebrated composers (e. g. Bellini) and is
now presided over by Mercadante. A number of MSS. of Pae-
siello Jomelli and other eminent masters are preserved here.
From' this point the Largo Mercatello (p. 48), adjacent to the
Toledo, is reached.
The ** Museum (PL 9). In the upper part of the town
beyond the Mercatello, in the Piazza delle Pigne and the new
Strada di Capodimonte, - rises the Museo Nazionale, formerly ter¬
med Museo Reale Borbonico, or gli Studj. It was commenced
in 1586 by the viceroy Duke of Ossuna as a cavalry-barrack,
in 1615 ceded to the university, which was established there
until 1780, when it was transferred to the Gesii Vecchio. Since
1790 it has been fitted up for the reception of the royal collec¬
tion of antiquities and pictures, to which in 1816 Ferdinand I.
gave the name of Museo Reale Borbonico.
Here are united the older and more recent collections apper¬
taining to the crown, the Farnese collection, those of the palaces
of Portici and Capodimonte, and the excavated treasures of Her-
culaneum, Pompeii, Stabise and Cumae. This aggregate collection
is one of the finest in the world; the Pompeian antiquities and
objects of art in particular, as well as the bronzes from Her-
culaneum are unrivalled.
The Museum is open daily 9—3, except Monday; adm. 1 1.,
Sund. and Thursd. gratis. Gratuities forbidden.
The present director, Commendatore Giuseppe Fiorelli is now
engaged in re-arranging the collections. Alterations are there¬
fore constantly taking place, so that perfect accuracy in the sub¬
joined enumeration is at present unattainable. To add to the
difficulty, there is no complete catalogue. Custodians stationed
at different parts of the building readily give information when
applied to; most of them speak French.
Permission to copy is obtained by strangers on showing their
passports at the Segreteria, on the 1st floor (p. 73), where a si-