Santa Restituta. NAPLES. 4. Route. 61
The edifice is a basilica, the aisles of which have a Gothic vaulting.
The ceiling-paintings of the nave are by Santafede (of a square shape) and
Vinceuzio da Forti (oval); the frescoes on the upper part of the lateral walls
are by Luca Giordano and his pupils. St. Cyril and St. Chrysostom are by
Solirnenn. Over the principal entrance are the tombs of (1.) Charles I. of
Anjou and (r.) Charles Martel, king of Hungary, eldest son of Charles II.
and his wife Clementia, daughter of Rudolph of Hapsburg, erected by the
viceroy Olivarez in 1599. — The 2nd Chapel (Brancia), next to that of St.
Januarius (see below), contains the tomb of Cardinal Carbone, by Bam-
boccio ; then in the chapel of the Carraccioli the monument of the cardinal
of that name (d. 1668).
At the back of the transept, to the r., the entrance to the "Chapel of
the Minutoli (open 7'|2- 9 a. m. only), constructed by Masuccio, the upper
portion adorned with paintings by Tommaso dei Stefani in the 13th cent.,
the lower part by an unknown master; monument of the cardinal by Bam-
boccio; altar by Pietro dei Stefani. — The adjoining Tocca Chapel contains
the tomb of St. Asprenas, one of the first bishops of Naples.
Beneath the high-altar the richly decorated "Shrine of St. Januarius,
with ancient columns and beautiful marble covering; within is the tomb
of the saint, facing it, to the 1., the kneeling figure of the cardinal Oliviero
Carafa, who erected the chapel in 1492—1506. — Fresco on the ceiling of
the choir by Domenichino, the Adoration of the Angels. — The Gothic chapel
ot the Capece Galeota, to the 1. of the high-altar, contains an ancient By¬
zantine painting, Christ between St. Januarius and St. Athanasius. — In the
transept, by the door of the sacristy, the tombs of (r.): Innocent IV (d. 1254
at Naples), erected by the archbishop Umberto di Montorio in 1318, restored
in the 16th cent.; Andreas, king of Hungary, who was assassinated by his
queen Johanna I. at Aversa, as the inscription records: "Andrea; Caroli
Uberti Pannonia? regis f. Neapolitanorum regi Joannse uxoris dolo laqueo
necato Ursi Minutili pietate hie recondite"; (1.): Pope Innocent XII. (hy
Pignatelli of Naples; d. 1696). — In the following Chapel (de' Seripandi):
'Ascension of the Virgin, by Pietro Perugino (1460). — Then the entrance to
Santa Restituta (see below). — In the 2nd chapel: Entombment, a relief by
Giovanni du Nola ; above it St. Thomas, by Marco da Siena. — In the vicinity
is the Font, an ancient basin of green basalt, with Bacchanalian thyrsi
Contiguous to the cathedral on the 1. and accessible (fee V2L)
from it by a door in the 1. aisle is the church of * Santa Resti¬
tuta (PI. 71), a basilica in the Greek style, occupying the site
of a temple of Apollo , to which it is probably indebted for the
ancient Corinthian columns in the nave.
The foundation, erroneously attributed to Constantine the Great, dates
from the 7th cent. In the 17th cent, it was restored. In the Chapel S. Maria
del Principio, at the farther extremity, to the 1., an ancient "mosaic of the
Virgin with St. Januarius and St. Restituta, restored in 1322, and considered
the earliest in Naples; whence the name del Principio. On the lateral walls
two remarkable bas-reliefs, supposed to have once belonged to a pulpit of
the 8th cent., each in 15 compartments; to the 1. the history of Joseph; to
the r. above, St. Januarius, then Samson; beneath, St. George. — At the
back of the high-altar the Virgin with St. Michael and S. Restituta, by
Silvestro Buono. — The small dome of the chapel S. Giovanni in Fonte to
the r., alleged to have been erected by Constantine in 333, formerly the
baptistery of the church, is adorned with mosaics of the 13th cent.: Christ,
the Virgin etc. — The altar-piece, the Baptism of Christ, by Silvestro Buono.
— On the ceiling of the nave a fresco by Luca Giordano: the body of S.
Restituta conveyed by angels in a boat to Ischia.
Opposite to the entrance to S. Restituta, in the r. aisle of
the cathedral, is the * Chapel of St. Januarius, called Cappella