Protestant Cemetery. NAPLES.
4. Route. 59
residence of the Hohenstaufen Kings and occasionally of those
of Anjou. In 1540 Don Pedro de Toledo (p. 48) transferred the
different courts of justice to this palace, where they remain to
this day, whence the name / Tribunali, a visit to which affords
an admirable insight into the Neapolitan national character. The
prison of La Vicaria, of evil repute, is under the jurisdiction of
the criminal court. The Porta Capuana bears the coat of arms
of Ferdinand I. of Arragon, its founder, but was restored and
re-decorated with sculpture in 1535, on the entry of Charles V.
The towers on each side bear the inscriptions "L'Onore'' and "La
Without the gate are situated the Cemeteries (Campi Santi),
of which the new, situated on the road l1^ M. from the gate,
deserves a visit (one-horse carr. from the gate there and back,
l1/)—3 L). It was laid out by the French, extended in 1737 at
the time of the cholera, and occupies a most beautiful situation,
commanding delightful views of Naples, the sea and Vesuvius,
where the black lava streams of 1850 and 1855, which threatened
to destroy the villages of S. Jorio and Somma, may distinctly be
recognized. The cemetery contains comparatively few monuments
of single individuals, but a large number erected by guilds and
societies, many of them imposing, but displaying little taste.
The Church, built in the form of a Doric temple, stands on an eminence;
in the tribune a Pietii by Gennaro Cali. At the back of the church a rect¬
angular space enclosed by a Doric colonnade; in the centre a colossal statue
of Religion by Tilu Angelini, erected in 1836. In this hall are the entrances
to 102 private chapels, beneath which are the family vaults. In the vicinity-
stands the small Capuchin monastery of S. Ferdinando, in the Gothic style.
On the W. slope, in the rear of a marble pyramid to the memory of Giro-
lamo Rull'o, are the graves of several eminent men; the composer Niccolo
Cingarelli (d. 1837), the surgeon Francesco Petrunti, the scholars Giuseppe
del Re and Raffaele Liberatore etc.
The cemetery presents a most animated and interesting spec¬
tacle on All Souls' Day (Nov. 2nd). — The old cemetery (campo
santo vecchio) is equally distant from the town (the main street
is quitted before the Porta Capuana is reached, by the 2nd tur¬
ning to the L). It is now used for the interment of the poor
only, for which two extensive enclosed courts with 365 vaults,
one for every day in the year, are destined.
The Protestant Cemetery, at the small Largo di S. Maria
della Fede , outside the Porta Capuana (from the gate 5 min. in
a straight direction; at the end of the square the Vico Caval-
catore to the 1. leads to the Largo della Fede on the r.; entrance
1. of the church, fee '/a 1.) is well laid out. Numerous English,
American, German, Russian and other names may be recognized.
The Margravine Elizabeth of Ansbach-Baireuth (Lady Berkeley, d. 1828)
is interred in the same grave with her son and her friend Sir William