562 Route 65. BIBBIENA.
pected (ladies not admitted). The monks show the extensive con¬
vent, the three churches with their excellent reliefs in terracotta of
the school of the Robbia (Annunciation by Andrea della Robbia in
the main church), and the Luoghi Santi, a series of grottoes once
frequented by St. Francis. — A path ascends through beautiful
woods to the Penna della Verna (4165 ft.), also known simply as
l'Apennino, 'the rugged rock between the sources of the Tiber and
Amo', as it is called by Dante (Paradiso, xi. 106). The celebrated
view from this ridge, now somewhat obscured by trees, is best ob¬
tained from the small chapel on the N.W. spur, about 3/4 hr. above
the monastery. — About Y4 hr. below the convent, at the end of
the Bibbiena road (see below), stands a modest Osteria.
To the S., not far from the monastery, is situated the ruined castle
of Chiusi, occupying the site of the ancient Clusium Novum, where Lodo-
vico Buonarroti, father of Miehael Angelo, once held the office of Podestá.
The great master himself was born on 6th March, 1475, at Caprese, in the
neighbouring valley of the Singema, but in 1476 his parents removed to
Settignano (p. 557).
From Stia-Pratovecchio to Arezzo, 28 M., railway in l3/j-2hrs.
(fares 5 fr. 10, 3 fr. 60, 2fr. 30 a), descending the Arno valley. Beyond
(4 M.) Porrena-Strada, the flrst station, the train passes the ancient
church of Campaldino, where in a sanguinary conflict, on llth June,
1289, Dante distinguished himself by his bravery, and aided his
Guelph countrymen to crush the might of Arezzo and the Tuscan
Ghibellines. — 572 M. Poppi (1430 ft.; Alb. Vezzosi; Pens. Gelati),
on a hill rising to the right above the Arno, is commanded by the
lofty tower of the castle of the Counts Guidi, the ancient lords of
the Casentino, expelled by the Florentines in 1440. The castle
was built in 1230 and partly restored in 1896-99. Road to Camal¬
doli, see p. 561 (carr. 7, with two horses 10 fr.).
9 M. Bibbiena (1395 ft.; Alb. Amorosi, R. li/2 fr., well spoken
of), the birthplace of Bernardo Dovizi, afterwards Cardinal Bibbiena
(1470-1520), the patrón of Raphael, is prettily situated on a hill
rising from the Amo (carr. from the station to the town 72 fr-)- The
principal church, San Lorenzo, contains flne terracotta reliefs of
the Adoration of the Holy Child and the Descent from the Cross, of
the school of the Robbia. — Bibbiena is the starting-point for those
who visit La Verna by carriage (772 M., in 2 hrs.; carr. and pair
10-12 fr., bargaining necessary).
13 M. Rassina (1000 ft.), with a silk-factory. — 23 M. Giovi.
The train now quits the valley of the Arno and traverses the rich
Val di Cutiana to —
28 M. Arezzo (840 ft.; Inghilterra; Vittoria), a provincial capital
with 16,500 inhab. and several interesting churches; see Baedeker's