of Florence. PRATOLINO. 65. Route. 557
Beyond Fiesole, on the S.E., rises Monte Ceceri (1453ft.), from the
quarries of which comes the gray pietra serena so universally used in
Florence. It may be ascended from Fiesole direct by a rough path or viá
(12 min.) Borgunto (see below; by the Via Franc. Colzi, to the right).
The splendid view from the top includes the Tuscan hills from the Prato-
magno chain (p. 559) to the Apuan Alps, with the hills of Chianti, noted
for their wine, to the S. The descent to the Regresso di Maiano (p. 55o)
is steep and fatiguing.
From the Regresso di Maiano (p. 555) the Via Benedetto da Maiano
skirts the slope of Mte. Ceceri to Q¡2 M.) Maiano (565 ft.). Thence we may
descend to the S.W., through the pretty Affrico Valley to San Gervasio
(p. 554), or to the S. to the O/4 hr.) road from Florence to Settignano, a
little on this side of Ponte a Mensolu (255 ft.; electric tramway, No. 5,
On a hill-top 1 M. to the N.E. of Maiano lies the Castello di Vincigliata,
a castle of the 14th cent., belonging to Lord Westbury, which has been
restored since 1855 and fltted up in a mediieval style. Visitors are admitted
on Sun. and Thurs. between 8 and 5 (attendant" 1 fr.). The Castello may
be reached also from Ponte a Mensola by the steep Via Giov. Leader in
3/t hr., and from Fiesole in 1 hr. by a rough cart-track, passing Borgunto,
on the N. slope of Mte. Ceceri, and the mediseval Castel di Poggio. — Circular
drive from Florence viá Fiesole and Vincigliata, see p. 554.
About 4V2 M. to the E. of Florence is the high-lying and pleasant
village of Settignano (580 ft.; Caffé Desiderio), the terminus of the electric
tramway No. 5 (p. 460). From the upper end of the village the beautiful
Via Desiderio da Settignano descends to the left viá the hamlet of C'or-
bignano (415 ft.), to (V2 hr.) Ponte a Mentóla (see above).
In the midst of a wood about 9 M. to the N. of Florence, and about
3 M. from the station of Montorsoli (p. 421) viá the village of that ñame,
lies Pratolino (1512 ft. 5 Ferd. Zocchi's Inn) A little on this side of the
village, to the right, is the entrance to the Villa of Pratolino, formerly
belonging to the grand-dukes and now to Princess Demidoff (adm. only by
permission of the steward). The cháteau, built by Buontalenti about 1569
at the instance of Francesco de' Medici, for the reception of Bianca
Cappello (p. 536), has been in ruins since 1832, while the gardens have
been modernized and partly converted into plantations. Almost the only
relie of former splendour is a colossal crouching figure (62 ft. high), re¬
presenting the Apennines and ascribed to Giov. da Bologna. — From Pra¬
tolino a beautiful road, with numerous views, leads to the N.E. viá Macioli
to (5 M.) the Monte Senario (2700 ft.), on the top of which, in the midst of
a grove of pines, is a Servite Convent (Annunziata), founded in 1233 and
restored in 1544. The great terrace affords a splendid 'Panorama of the
surrounding mountains, with distant views of Fiesole and Florence, seen
through the valley of the Mugnone. An excellent liqueur, 'Gemma d'Abeto',
is made at the convent. From the summit we may go on to the N.W. (at
first by a rough footpath) to the railway-station of Vagliu (p. 421; l1/* hr.,
in the opposite direction 2 hrs.).
(g.) San Salvi, about 3/4 M. from the Piazza Beccaria (Pl. I, 6;
electric tramway No. 6, p. 460). We leave the tramway in the Via
Aretina at the córner of the Via di S. Salvi, which brings us in
3 min. to an archway on the right (ring). Of the Vallombrosan
monastery of San Salvi, founded before 1Ó84, where in 1312 Emp.
Henry VIL established his headquarters during the siege of Florence,
only the remains are now extant. The district adjoining the Campo
di Marte is still called 'Campo d'Arrigo'. The former refectory (adm.,
see p. 464) contains a collection of oíd paintings belonging to the
Florentine galleries and a *Fresco by Andrea del Sarto (1526-27),
representing the Last Supper.